Good Guys Used Cars & Trucks

Average

Good Guys Used Cars & Trucks
Good Guys Used Cars & Trucks Info

Rowe Westbrook

"Please allow me to provide you with an HONEST review of..."

Please allow me to provide you with an HONEST review of these guys. Please understand, I did not buy from them and I am not mad at them in any way. I was looking at a volvo they had on their lot. Great car. I had gotten several reviews from my friends on good guys, mostly saying not to buy from there and even people I didn't know were sending me messages about their work, a common repair that this shop used to do and may still do to their vehicles is fiberglass rocker panels and paint over them (take a magnet to the rockers and anything else you question). I was also told that they used bondo on frames. I did not see evidence of this for myself but if you want to buy from them I want you to be aware of this. I had asked to take this car for a test drive 2 different times, the first time I was told to get pre-approved from the bank first, so I did, the second time I was given another excuse that the car was going in to the shop. I was told that I could go to the shop to view the car. I also was told that I could take this car to get it "inspected", later when I told them that I wanted to take it to a dealership, I was told absolutely not! I was told that I could take it to one of their two shops to get looked at.... (I can take their car to their shop to get looked at?!?!?! that doesn't really give me a fair playing ground now does it?). So I went to look at the car while it was at their shop, the first 1" of the tires were bald from the inside out as well as cracked, the tread on the rest of the tire was extremely low, the rear rotors were scraped all to hell and the break pads themselves were low, I questioned the shop on this and they said "yeah, i mean I didn't really take a good look at it but it passes inspection". (now, I may be a girl, but I have been driving for many years, I have had countless inspections on cars, I know what can "squeeze" by and what can't, there is NO WAY that this would have passed inspection, I had half a mind to call the state police and have them take a peek). I went back and asked Joe about replacing the tires again, when I had first looked at the car he told me that he would put new tires on it, but after they realized they were "in too deep" on my car as a trade in all bets were off. So they offered me a deal on new tires... which was a good deal, but come on, I was going to spend a considerable amount of money on this car that they probably paid pennies on and they couldn't keep their word? I was also going to send my cousin to them for a car (not anymore, I told her to stay away). I was also told several times they used outside garages so that when a problem arose it couldn't be put back on them and it was the shops problem. I asked for the car fax and the maintenance records... one owner told me i could have the maintenance records but not the car fax and Joe said that I could have the car fax but he wasn't providing me with maintenance records. I had asked for both of these before and was told they didn't have them, then when I asked again I was told they did. I ended up walking away from this car, which is too bad, I really liked the car, but here is the reasons: 1) I was called several times a day, sometimes 3 times in one hour and didn't get a message or a chance to call them back before they called again 2) I should be able to have a car inspected by MY mechanic of choice, not theirs 3) If they were going to fight me about the tires on this car, what else did they skip over? 4) "when a problem arose" ok, so what problem will come up and which way is the finger going to point when I go back to Good Guys for help? 5) Car Fax and Maintenance Records should have been produced. What are they trying to hide? 6) This car sat on their lot for over 3 months (the sticker on it was 3 months old) with a cracked strut and broken heater pump of some kind, they didn't get it fixed until right before they thought I was going to buy the car.. clearly they knew about this, were they trying to sell it before they were responsible for those? 7) I made it clear that I drive A LOT, their extended warranty covers 90 days or 4,500 miles, I do that in a month and a half, that is nothing special to me and the warranty doesn't cover any major repairs. 8) Owners can't get on the same page with the same story. To me, that is shady. So, please, if you find a car from them you like, have it thoroughly checked out. I didn't buy from them and I won't in the future but I am just suggesting you to make your own opinion on them. I had seen 2 good reviews and 1 bad review and none of them had very many details. The owners admitted to an unhappy customer over a car but wouldn't give me anymore information then that. Please consider this a neutral informative review.

Joe Black

"Guy Converse, owner of Good Guys Used Cars and Trucks in..."

Guy Converse, owner of Good Guys Used Cars and Trucks in Topsham, ME has set out to become the number one used car dealer in Maine! I would say he's well on his way. Guy's prices are very reasonable, his car selection is great, and he and his associate, Joe Black, are a pleasure to deal with. Guy and Joe know their cars and stand behind them. Before you even consider going elsewhere, go to Good Guys first, you'll be glad you did.

"Prices and features listed on every vehicle allowed me to..."

Prices and features listed on every vehicle allowed me to pre-shop both evenings and Sundays. The majority of their 60 plus vehicles were priced at or near wholesale. Bill was a joy to work with. No pressure, no hassle, just correct information and he actually did what he said he would and on time! I bought two cars even though I was only shopping for one! Like he asked- if I'm not happy, tell him, if I am happy tell everyone. I'm doing exactly that.

Bill Loring, Manager