Lakelandcdj.com - "The Internet Price you see is the price you pay. No Games, No Gimmicks." OK. This dealer has horrible reviews, but they had a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan we were interested in so, in all fairness we gave them one chance. We did our homework and set up appointments at several dealers and took 2 days off to visit them all. Being the worst rated we started here. I did this same process up front for all dealers.
1. We knew the KBB (Blue Book) for the trade value of our vehicle and backed this up with calling several dealers and verifying, knowing of course, the dealer we bought from would inspect and give a final number, but we had a good number to work with.
2. I called Lakeland to get a verification on the "Internet Price". As soon as you call there you get a recording that your call is being recorded/monitored, so naturally I hit the call record button on my own phone as well, just a good rule of thumb. If they record, so can I.
3. I spoke with Guy and gave him the stock number of the vehicle I was interested in. The MSRP was $21,285.00 less "Dealer Discount" of 1609.00 for an Internet Price of $19,676.00.
4. I asked him if there were additional charges such as a "delivery charge", as there should not be as freight from Chrysler is already included in the Invoice Price, but some dealers try to add on and you should not pay that. I also asked if there was an Advertising fee (do not pay), Prep charge (do not pay to have fluids topped off and car washed, you can do it yourself). There was none.
5. I then asked what that $ 1609.00 "Dealer Discount" was made up of and I was told: $799.00 Dealer Fee (they are 200.00 higher than other dealers- the State of Florida Dealer Fee is 599.00), Hold Back, and Document Fees of $200.00. He stated that they were giving these charges back to you. I then asked if they would be added back on and he told me "No. The only other charges on top of the $19,676 will the the Sales Tax, and the Registration, Tag, and Title transfer fees. Period."
OK so knowing the vehicle price, the value of my trade, the sales tax on the difference, the 500.00 rebate from Chrysler on the 2014 vehicle, and that the Registration, Tag and Title transfer is 250.00 I was good to go. Simple Math Right?
The next morning I called and asked Guy if that vehicle was still on the lot, and it was so we made the two hour drive to go see it, and another appt for another dealer 20 mins away. No big deal as we did not need to buy and we had all the numbers run for all the vehicles we were looking at.
When we got there Guy was busy so he handed us off to Dom, a new guy, who proved to be the best thing as I believe he tried harder than anyone else would have. Dom took us for a drive. We knew our numbers and what the other dealers would do, so if these guys were not going to deal, we were just moving on to the next.
The floor Manager Patrick then came out and looked over our trade and told me to tell him what we wanted to do and that he would tell us yes or no. I promptly told him "No, you will tell me what YOU can do for ME, and then I will tell YOU, yes or no." I looked and me blankly for a moment and then laughed.
So ok first they lowballed my trade, which we knew was hooey, then they came back and offered us 500.00 more. OK. So then give me an out the door price.....and they came back nearly 2000.00 more! Why? Well, they were adding back on all the "Dealer Discounts" they took off in that Internet Price. Right there in Black and White on the paper. Dom was amazing, as he went to bat for us. They talked amongst themselves at the podium for a long while and them came back, trying to explain that I did not understand him correctly on the phone - meaning Guy - when he gave me the vehicle price. I then offered to play back the phone call for them - it was just as plain as day. I told them in my book, this was Bait and Switch Advertising.
They then came back with my number quickly. After a two hour wait for the Finance Manager we wrote a check and were out the door.
As we were leaving Guy came out to the new vehicle as Dom was finishing up with us and tried to cover up his lie with one last lie (just keep piling them on) that the mess up in the numbers was when they ran the numbers they input the 2014 with the 500.00 rebate into the system as a 2013 with the 2500.00 rebate - DUH - the 2013 AVP pkg on that vehicle only had a 1000.00 rebate...we just rolled our eyes and left.
Bottom line - I will follow Dom to whatever dealer he ends up at. He will do WHATEVER it takes to make the sale. Fantastic salesman!
Do your himework up front and know your numbers!!!!
Did you find this review helpful?