To: Mr. Brendan Harrington
General Manager, Longo Toyota
3534 N. Peck Road, El Monte, CA 91731
Mr. Will Amiri
Director, Pre-owned Sales, Longo Toyota
Cc: Mr. Victor Reyes
Fleet Manager, Longo Lexus
Subject: : Mr. Fred Williams is the reason why I hate going to Car Dealerships like yours to buy a car
1. My name is Joey Escobar and my wife and I recently purchased a pre-owned Toyota Prius plug in last March 10.
I was assigned customer number 24123052.
The 2014 Prius had a stock number 1P17719. Deal no. was 3069121.
Deal No. 3069121
2. On March 10, 2015, I saw my Masonic brother Victor Reyes, Fleet Manager for Longo Lexus and inquired about getting a commute car for my family. Earlier that week, Brother Victor and I met at our Masonic lodge and he asked me to see him at his office during the week. When I told Brother Victor about why I needed a commute car, we went to the Toyota used car dept. and he referred me to Fred Williams. He didn’t push for a Lexus; he understood my situation and felt a Prius would be best for my driving needs.
3. Fred Williams showed me an inventory list of 2014 Prius hybrids plug in on the lot. There were 3 hybrids available on March 10. . One caught my eye since it only had 13,868 miles and in the mid $25k range. The other two had many more miles and higher in price. We talked about the vehicle and I wanted to know if there was anything wrong with the car. Together with Brother Victor, we examined the vehicle and agreed that it was the vehicle I wanted since it has car pool lane capability and it came back from a company lease. And the no haggle price of mid $25k was fair. Brother Victor then left me in the hands of Fred to complete the paperwork. Per Fred, the $25k mid range price was again a no haggle price. I agreed to to that price then.
4. I had 2 initial concerns: the Prius had no spare tire; secondly, it only had one key. I asked Fred repeatedly about my concerns re: the lack of spare tire. He offered no solution. But he went ahead and got me a spare key complimentary; per his words, he was getting me one for being a KABABAYAN-or countryman in Philippine language.
5. Since we needed my wife to be a co-signer, we had to wait until my wife Victoria got back from New Jersey where she visited a sister suffering from brain cancer. Fred W kept the vehicle on the lot from March 10-16. My wife got back March 15.
6. March 16, 2015. My wife and I went back to Longo Toyota 815pm after I picked her up from the hospital in Cerritos where she works as a nurse supervisor. Fred herded us to the Finance Dept. for our joint signatures. We stayed at the Finance Dept until after 9pm. Ali Adnan was our contact.
7. During the document signing, that’s when I noticed that the car price was pegged at $26,988, way above the no haggle price of mid $25k per the inventory sheet. Ali Adnan of the Finance Dept. then called Fred over the phone to discuss the discrepancy.
8. I asked Fred why the cost was about $1500 higher than what we agreed upon. His reply: he could not change it anymore. He also mentioned that I had to pay for the extra key, contrary to his prior offer of complimentary, being a “KABABAYAN”. It was an implicit admission that indeed he changed the price to accommodate the extra key cost and improve his profit from the deal!
9. I demanded to see the inventory sheet that he used to price the Prius at mid $25k. This was the same inventory sheet that he showed Brother Victor on March 10. He adamantly refused to let me see it.
10. It was getting late around 930pm and my wife and I just wanted to get out of the dealership, frustrated, tired and felt deceived by Fred. We went ahead and signed the contract just to get out of there. I was also very embarrassed to my wife for not catching this discrepancy earlier. She was also suffering from jet lag, having arrived from New Jersey only the night before. The joy of owning a semi new car after 8 years was negated by such treachery and deceit by Fred.
11. When we went back to pick up the car from the lot, Fred was with another customer and closing another deal. He spent less than 3 minutes orienting me on the new features of the Prius. Since Fred was closing the deal with another customer, he asked me to come back another day for a more thorough orientation of the Prius.
12. It was a very dangerous move since I was new to the Prius and its high tech features. Such recommendation was so upsetting and ridiculous since he already screwed me up on the price, etc. Fred let me drive the vehicle that night with very little knowledge of its safety features, etc. Yet he did…. just so he could close another deal with the couple waiting in his office. He called several days later but the last person I wanted to see in this world is Fred Williams and listen to his slick cheats and lies.
13. I bought an extended warranty for 125,000 miles to protect my investment. But when the warranty card came in by mail, it was only good for 100,000 miles! I called the dealership several times but only got a recording. Up to now, I have to get an updated warranty card for the 125,000 miles I paid dearly for.
14. You may wonder why I reported this incident only now. I called Brother Victor Reyes and related to him what happened to me after he left me with Fred. Brother Victor asked me to give him a chance to talk to Fred and find out what had happened. Brother Victor tried several times to call Fred but he seemed to be too busy to answer his calls. Brother Victor even wondered if Fred was on vacation since he had not returned his many calls. I deferred to Brother Victor’s request to give him more time, being brothers in the same lodge and out of mutual respect and brotherhood. But I could not wait any longer. It’s been a month.
Allow to me to recap, gentlemen.
1. STRIKE 1: Fred Williams’ actions are UNBECOMING OF A SALES MANAGER. He VEHEMENTLY refused to show me the inventory sheet that was the basis of the price we agreed upon when requested.
2. STRIKE 2: He changed the price of the Prius in a deceitful manner, selling instead the benefits of a HOV accessible vehicle and the 2.9% interest rate, high tech features, etc. When I noticed the different amount on March 16, he pitched me with STRIKE 3.
3. STRIKE 3: I had to pay for the extra key somehow! This was contrary to his initial offer of a second key as complimentary, and I quote him: “for being a KABABAYAN”. Another lie. Another BS.
4. STRIKE 4: I PAID FOR EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR 125,000 MILES. YET I ONLY GOT 100,000 miles per the warranty card! This is a clear breach of signed contract.
5. STRIKE 5: FRED DID AN INCREDIBLY POOR AND DANGEROUS JOB OF ORIENTING ME THE NEW FEATURES OF THIS 2014 PRIUS. IT’S A BRAND NEW VEHICLE FOR ME. HIS FAILURE TO SPEND THE SUFFICIENT TIME TO ORIENT A NEW CUSTOMER PLACED ME IN VERY DANGEROUS DRIVING CONDITION THAT NIGHT OF MARCH 16! I HAD TO ASK MY WIFE TO TAIL ME ON THE WAY HOME AS A PRECAUTION. FRED WAS MORE CONCERNED ABOUT CLOSING ANOTHER DEAL THAT NIGHT THAT HE HURRIEDLY PERFORMED THE ORIENTATION AT MY PERSONAL EXPENSE AND SAFETY. HE EVEN HAD THE GALL TO ASK ME TO COME BACK 2 DAYS LATER FOR A MORE THOROUGH ORIENTATION. BUT I NEEDED THAT VEHICLE FAMILIARITY THAT NIGHT BEFORE DRIVING IT ON THE FREEWAY! This is another conduct unbecoming of a Sales Manager. Absolutely and totally unacceptable. AND DOWNRIGHT NEGLIGENT.
6. In contrast, I mentioned to Brother Victor about my concern for the lack of spare tire. He genuinely offered to buy the spare tire himself and use his employee discount to allay my fears. I was touched by his generosity and willingness to find a solution. Fred did not offer such solution. It was apparent he was just concerned about closing the deal and getting his money.
I am providing a copy of this letter to my legal representative and government agencies. I will reserve the right to pursue other legal remedies to correct this deceitful transaction. I will also post these complaints online so that others may know how I was treated at LONGO TOYOTA last March16, 2015.
TO SAY THAT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS DECEITFUL, FULL OF LIES, NEGLIGENT, UNACCEPTABLE, EXTREMELY PROFIT ORIENTED, ETC. WILL BE AN UNDERSTATEMENT. IT IS DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS!
Thank you for your time.
I Recommend This Dealer:
Did you find this review helpful?