Nissan of Iowa City

Makes: Nissan|Service Center

Overall Rating N/A

Nissan of Iowa City
Nissan of Iowa City Info

"On May 5, we went to Carousel Motors to look at a 2006..."

On May 5, we went to Carousel Motors to look at a 2006 Mazda 3 that I found at autotrader.com. On Saturday, May 7, we returned to purchase it if we could work out a deal. We got a deal done with the salesman, and then went to Josh’s (the Finance and Insurance manager) office. Ok, here I let my guard down when Josh told us the salesman had “made a mistake”, and the interest rate had to rise. He got me to sign for a different deal than we’d made with the salesman. Anyway, we drove the car home. On Wednesday, May 11, while in Des Moines, Iowa on business, I called home to check in with my son. He told me that Carousel Motors called, then played the message for me. It was Josh, the F & I guy, asking me to return his call. I called him from Des Moines Thursday morning (May 12). He asked if we could “do me a little favor” (direct quote) and come back to Iowa City to sign some new paperwork. I told him the soonest that we could drive there was late Friday afternoon. At this point I’m suspicious of the “yo-yo financing” scam. On Friday, May 13, we headed back to Carousel Motors after work. On the way down I called Josh, telling him that we might be late. This was a problem because he told us we needed to go directly to the University of Iowa Credit Union, who was doing the financing. They were expecting us to come in to sign new loan paperwork. Josh’s response was that if we couldn’t get there on time we would have to write a check for the purchase price of the car, because he had to get this deal closed and funded. I also told Josh that I was uncomfortable with signing new paperwork with the U of I Credit Union when I had already signed an installment purchase agreement with Carousel Motors. His reply was that once we signed the new paperwork that this document became null and void. At this point, not trusting anything that wasn’t in writing, I asked if he was willing to write “null and void” on the installment purchase agreement and to sign off on it. Yes, he would do this. Next, I called the U of I Credit Union. They had never heard of us, didn’t know anything about any paperwork, and that they never had Carousel Motors customers go directly to them to fill out loan paperwork. When we arrived at Carousel Motors, Josh had great news for us: He had called the U of I Credit Union, and they had someone fill out the paperwork and over to the dealership. (Note that I had talked to the credit union 5 minutes before this, and they didn’t know who I was. I told Josh that I was amazed at this; when did they get it here? His response was “Thirty seconds before you walked in”. We went to Josh’s office. First, we all signed off declaring the installment purchase agreement to be null and void. Next, he want to finish signing the title over to us. I said no, I want to look at the loan paperwork first. He promised us that once we signed this (a credit union loan application) that we were “locked in to our interest rate”. After looking through this for a bit I asked to talk in private with my wife. When Josh came back into the office, we informed him that we knew he was trying to scam us. I asked him how it was that the U of I Credit Union had delivered the documents for us to sign 30 seconds before we got there when they didn’t know who we were? He responded that of course they didn’t know us; we hadn’t filled out the paperwork yet. (Remember—this was the paperwork that the credit union had just “delivered”.) When we got up to leave, my wife asked for our down payment check back. Josh’s response was “That ain’t gonna happen!” We told him that we had put a stop payment on that check this morning, just in case I was right and they were scamming us. At this point we left. I wrote out the long version of this so you can compare the facts to the email that Pat Lind, the general manager of Carousel Motors, sent my wife the next week. The following is a cut and paste of his entire email, typos and all: Tammy In thirty years of selling cars I have come across a few rotten apples but you and your husband take the prize. I knew something was wrong when you two avoided us for a week.Your bank told us you stopped payment on your down payment check on the 10th.Funny your husband continued to tell Josh every thing was fine you were just too busy to come in. I was ready to just write this episode off to experience until I got your nasty note.Please contact the BBB or anybody else you can think of because I am anxious to get all the details out.Check with your Lawyer and ask if stopping payment on titled property is a problem.Ask your Lawyer the legal description of "Conversion" . To think that people like you have anything to do with education is very concerning. Patrick Lind, General Manager Ph. 319.354.2550 Cell 319.631.3829 Fax 319.337.6030 Of course, Carousel Motors is NOT a member of the Better Business Bureau. Now I see why.

Jason Monthei, Josh Hachmeister

"Do not trust what the service department tells you. Took..."

Do not trust what the service department tells you. Took my two year old 2009 Nissan Murano with 27,000 miles on it in for an oil change, mentioned that I thought the breaks squealed more than normal and asked for them to look at it as the vehicle was under 36,000 miles. Received a phone call that my rear brake pads and 4 tires needed replacing. This surprised me since the vehicle was relatively new with low mileage. Was told cost would be $1300 for new tires and another $300 for rear brake pads. I immediately questioned this conclusion as brakes and tires have always lasted well beyond 27,000 miles on my previous vehicles. Despite my questions and objections, was told that it was not covered under the 36,000 mile warranty as it was normal wear and tear. I told them to do nothing and I would "think about it". Received an inspection sheet that said the brake pads were worn to less than 3 mm and the tread depth was 4/32". Contacted another Nissan dealership to see if this was typical for Murano's and they said no and offered to take a look at the vehicle because if it was true, they would contact Nissan corporation about the issue. Took the vehicle to a local brake shop that I personally know and trust for a second opinion. They looked at the brakes and tires and wanted to know why I had brought the vehicle in as the brakes and tires looked good. I showed them the inspection sheet and they then wanted to show me their findings. They actually removed the rear brake pad and brought it in to show me it along with a brand new brake pad. They measured both in front of me, showing me that mine measured at over 7mm. The tires also had more than sufficient tread depth and did not need replacing. Said it would be a waste of money to replace the brakes and tires as both had many miles left on them. Called Nissan Carousel manager to let him know of my findings. Was met with rudeness and was told their service department was "Nissan certified" and that the brake shop didn't know what they were doing (they're a reputable company that has been in business for over 30 years and I personally know the employees). Told him that another dealership said this was not normal for a Murano, was informed they were just trying to get our business. My reply was that was better than his actions as he just lost our business. Nissan Carousel does not have an honest service department and fabricated repairs that were not necessary. When presented with this information, although they were given the opportunity to make amends, gave no logical explanation for the error and became defensive and rude. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEALERSHIP AS THEY ARE DISHONEST AND CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

Nate Onken, Service Dept. and Paul Trovas, Manager

"I had been looking at what Nissan had to offer for..."

I had been looking at what Nissan had to offer for products for the last coupleof years. I decided that I wanted to take a closer look and possibly a test drive in a Nissan Versa. It is a Highway institutes top pick and consumer report lists it as the #1 choice for sub-compact. Needless to say I had done my homework. I called the dealerships in my area. Carousel Nissan (Nissan of Iowa City) Jim Miller Nissan, Kruse Warthan Nissan, and Lujacks.I live in the quad cities. I contacted Lujacks first and they toldme I would needto come in to know what they had in inventory. So I didn't call them again. Then I decided to email the other 3 dealerships. Kruse Warthan sent me a generic email that once again answered none of my questions and just asked when I could come in. Needless to say they were gone.(which after looking through this site I'm surprised they have any customers left) Jim Miller didn't contact me until the following day. So I waited to see what they had to say, assuming they couldnt be worse than the previous 2 dealers. This when I actually got someone who knew how to handle a customer and knew something about the product. Brian McConnell sent me an email with a list of all the Versas he had in stock,as well as the available incentives. And the best part was that I heard back with all of those answers in just under an hour. He said he realized I was from outside the area and if I had one of the versas I had more interest in, he would be happy to send me a video of it. I gave hime the car I liked a 1.8S with the power package. He shot the video and sent it back with,the sale price and my payment using the rebate or the 1.9%. In my mind I knew this was the dealer I wanted to do business with.He also told me they do free pick up and delivery for service. Even the free oil changes they give you. I made an appointment to drive the car. When I arrived Brian was just finishing with a customer so I had a seat in the waiting room. After abour 5 minutes the sales manager named Paul Trovas came out an apologized for the wait. He said he would be happy to take me to the car and show me around while we waited for Brian. He was great to talk to and when Brian came back he gave me his card with his cell phone number on it.I don't think to many car people would do that! Brian and I took the car for a long drive and I got back and decided with the right car,the right employees, it was the right atmosphere to purchase my new car. I met with Chad the business manager and he setup the cheapest financialpackage he could find.(Even beat my local bank) I love my new car and loved the expirence even more! If you are in the market for a Nissan, save yourself the time and the headache and just contact Carousel Nissan first. They gained a customer for life with me Charles C.

Brian McConnell, Paul Trovas, Chad Scarrberry