After a stressful week of losing my brand-new car of 6-months in a flash flood, the week ended on a positive note thanks to Alfonso Monteverde with an extremely positive sales experience and follow up and the team at Lindsay VW. I wanted an exact replacement if I could – color, trim, everything.
One salesperson told me there was 1 match within 500 miles. However, no salesperson would tell me where, because they would not benefit from this (wrong, in my opinion) as it wasn’t their dealer and they couldn’t secure it to sell.
OK – I understand this is sales; but I thought the dealer that I purchased from 6 months ago would let me know as I planned to get my replacement (either purchased from him or other) serviced there, (I had purchased an unused “upgrade” of a service plan through that dealer only) for years to come. It would be as if nothing happened. He would be out nothing. He had received his commission, and I would be bringing service business into the dealership. As far as that- he just told me that the service plan doesn’t transfer VINs. Period.
On a mission, I searched inventory from dealers within 500 miles and found the car! Constantly bombarded by salespeople from various dealers, it turns out the vehicle is in the same area and only 25 miles away! EXHAUSTING!
• Dealer #1 has actually LOST business as I will not be utilizing them for service. It could have easily been “status quo”.
• Dealer #1 only mentioned a very similar car (with a 3rd row at a different dealer that he could secure and sell) and offered up two other “options’ w/ the exact trim, but different exterior color. He never mentioned the duplicate one because he could not get that one and sell it.
• Dealer #1 has lost my business and any referrals for sales.
• Dealer #1 has lost my business for service for years to come (I hold onto cars)
• Dealer in Pennsylvania provided me with the information on where the car was – at Lindsay! I gave him major kudos as a “good one”. Lindsay VW asked for his name and I’m sure he’ll be rewarded either relationship building or monetarily.
• Lindsay has gained a loyal sales AND service customer for years to come as well as positive referrals and reviews (via word of mouth or social media).
• I have completed and returned paperwork into Dealer#1 for a REFUND on my “service plan”! Did the research and leg work myself; no thanks to salesperson #1.
Business done right – it’s really not that difficult and pays off in the long run. Need to think long term, relationships and dealership profits as a whole vs. your immediate $ commission in your pocket. Lindsay GETS IT!
I’d love to call Dealer #1 out and name the salesperson, but will refrain.
Patron Lindsay VW if you want a positive relationship with a dealership!