"J&M is good, but you do have to Work for it!!"
Car Purchased: 2004 Toyota Highlander V6 Base 4WD with 36K miles
Overall experience with J&M: 4 Stars*
Sales Rep: Paul Pinto (3 Stars)*
Sales Manager: Seth Brown (3 Stars)*
Dealer Auction Purchaser: Unknown (5 Stars)*
Contract Specialist: Dannielle Cureton (5 Stars)*
Service Manager: Fred Blum (5 Stars)
*All Star Ratings are out of 5.
Browsing Experience: Sales Rep was Paul Pinto. Low Pressure Browsing. Even offered unattended test drive.
The 2004 Highlander was at 36K miles and in extremely good condition. It was purchased at auction by J&M. Whoever their auction buyer is had a very good eye.
Website listing Accuracy
J&M had it listed as a Limited (It is only the base model). Otherwise, the listing was accurate.
J&M was overpriced on the car according to every reference (Edmunds, KBB, NADA) especially given the error of having listed as a “Limited.”
Negotiating Price/Trade-in Price/Final Paperwork Experience: Sales Rep was Paul Pinto through to the final paperwork.
• J&M was firm on the price of the Highlander.
• The initial trade-in offer was good. After negotiation they came up $1K from the original offer, which got us to what we felt was a good overall deal.
• We put 10% deposit on CC (Fully Refundable)
• J&M permitted Pre-Buy Inspection at my Mechanic (Christie’s in Westport, CT). J&M set up the appointment and brought the car down (They were about an hour late).
o Mechanic only found two maintenance issues: Recommended Timing Belt/Water Pump due to age not mileage. J&M would not negotiate on this point (I expected, but tried...)
o Mechanic only found one safety issue (Tires were over 10 years old on all five tires). Paul Pinto (Sales) promised 5 new all-season tires. He said they would NOT be top tier (Michelin etc) tires, but assured me they would NOT be bottom rung either. I did NOT get this in writing. What was provided at pickup was 4 Linglong tires instead of 5 middle of the pack tires. Linglong is a very cheap Chinese tire. Still, this is better than 10+ year old tires… I did not push the issue further, but I do not feel J&M kept to there word on this point. Get it in writing and push the point.
• The car was only coming with one key. After spending time on Toyota forums I learned that they have master keys and valet keys. Master keys are important. It was going to take a day or two for them to order and install tires. During that time I asked Paul if the key was a Master key. He said, “Yes, otherwise it would be listed as a spare.” At the time of paperwork, with the balance of cash spread out on the table, but no signed paperwork, I insisted on giving the vehicle a once over and determined the key was only a valet key as it would not open the glove box. I told the contract specialist that this was a deal breaker. At this point, Seth Brown (Sales Manager) came in and promised they would have a master key. Because of the Linglong tires, I insisted on having it in writing. Seth instructed Dannielle to add “Valet Key Only. Promised to provide Master Key” to the notes section of the purchase contract. He told me to contact the service manager on their second lot to set up a Thursday appointment as that is when the locksmith comes. At this point, we did the final signing. J&M transferred plates and registered our car with the DMV seamlessly. We drove off the lot with the vehicle.
Service Experience: (Service Manager: Fred Blum)
I stopped in to setup appointment to have master key made. When Fred estimate the cost to me I explained the written promise on the purchase contract to have a master key provided at J&M’s expense. He told me “No problem. Just be sure to bring the purchase contract when you come Thursday at 9am.” I arrived on Thursday at 9am and produced the contract. Fred reviewed it and made a copy for himself and said that was all he needed. 10am rolled around and Fred noticed I was still waiting in the lobby seating area. At this point he realized the locksmith had not shown up and called him. The locksmith said that he would not be able to make it as his work truck was in the shop. I (calmly) explained that I had taken a day off from work to get the key made. I asked if I could just go to a locksmith of my choice and have J&M pay for it? Fred said, “No, but if you take it to ANY Toyota dealership and have the service desk call me I will approve and pay for the service. That way I know it has been done right…” I took it to A-1 Toyota. They called Fred and sent him the estimate. He approved it and at the end of the service, he provided payment, as promised.” Fred gets the highest ratings from me at J&M.
Summary: In the end, I bought a solid car at a reasonable price, but I had to do my homework and had to work for it. Otherwise, I would have had to spend about $1K on tires and master keys. That said, I do NOT feel that J&M did anything outright sleazy. They (mostly) kept their promises. I would buy from them again.
"Making Car Buying Great Again"
This was my first experience buying a car from J & M Auto and it was WONDERFUL!!!! Dannielle, the receptionist, greeted us with a smile, asked if we had any questions and offered us refreshments. Paul was very helpful and knowledgeable about the cars we were interested in. He helped us get the best deal and we are very happy with our new vehicle. I would recommend this dealer to everyone I know!!! This is how car buying should be!!!!!
"PAUL WAS GREAT #NICEPEOPLE "
- NICE PEOPLE
GREAT PLACE GREAT PEOPLE GREAT PRICES, NICE PEOPLE. LOVE J&M AS SOON AS I WALKED IN I FELT LIKE I WAS HOME. IF YOU NEED A CAR PAUL IS THE GUY
"Best Customer Service Ever!"
I have never been so pleased in a dealership! The time they took with my daughter to find her the perfect car for her first car was outstanding. This is one dealership that all my friends and family will be using from here out.
"Excellent experience! "
I felt completely at ease as soon as I walked in the door. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Speedy service. Attention to detail. A nice lobby with comfy seats. All my questions were answered. And I left with the car of my dreams! Can’t ask for much more than that! Thanks again Seth, Vinny and Paul and Ken for all of your help! I 100% recommend this place!
Bought a used Toyota from J & M. All sales people were terrific especially Paul Pinto.
We easily came to an agreement on price and trade in.
Good selection of used cars great dealorship