The Penkhus Motor Company that you see today had its humble beginning back in 1951 when Robert N. Penkhus moved his young family from Ames, Iowa, and opened a small used car operation in Colorado Springs. New cars were added to the operation on Pikes Peak Avenue in 1957 when the Company became one of the ten dealers in the United States to obtain a Volvo Franchise. In 1972 the Volvo Franchise was moved to a fledgling area of Colorado Springs called Motor City.
The combination of a quality product and a reputation for excellent customer service assured continued growth, including the addition of a Mazda franchise, in October 1972, at the Pikes Peak Avenue location. In 1975, Mazda joined Volvo in Motor City to increase productivity and to better serve our customers.
Mr. Penkhus' son, Robert A. Penkhus ("Bob"), was a "permanent fixture" around the dealership from an early age, so it was natural that he would join his father in the business upon his graduation from the University of Denver. Bob Penkhus gradually assumed responsibility for all aspects of dealership operations and in 1977, became President of Penkhus Motor Company. Mr. Penkhus' concerns for his customers and employees, coupled with his enthusiasm for our products, have resulted in continued success and growth. Development of a new car display area along Interstate 25 in 1987 was followed one year later by a major service and parts expansion project in which we added fourteen mechanical and detail service stalls, doubled the parts area, and built an enclosed customer service area. In the spring of 1999 our growth continued with the opening of our second Select Certified location and a Domestic and Import Service Center on Austin Bluffs Parkway.
With the growth of Colorado Springs, Penkhus Motor Company wanted to ensure that it was meeting customer needs. In 2004 Penkhus Motor Company remodeled its Motor City location including constructing a new showroom and making other improvements at the Motor City location. In 2006 Penkhus Motor Company constructed a new facility at Woodman and Powers, which is the Bob Penkhus Mazda at Powers store.
In 2009 Penkhus Motor Company acquired a Volkswagen franchise and opened the Volkswagen franchise at the Motor City Drive location. In 2012 Penkhus Motor Company acquired a Mitsubishi franchise which is located at the Austin Bluffs Parkway Select Certified location. That facility is now known as Bob Penkhus Mitsubishi.
As a result of our commitment to excellence, Bob Penkhus Mazda is the Number 1 volume dealer in the Gulf region. Based on customer satisfaction levels, Bob Penkhus Motor Company has been recognized as a Volvo Dealer of Excellence and has been inducted into the Mazda Presidents Club.
Our continued success and growth requires each of our employees to possess a commitment to excellence toward each of our customers. Each member of the Penkhus Motor Company team should strive daily to meet all Penkhus Motor Company standards and goals in order to ensure future growth and success.