Gateway Classic Cars

5 Star Auto Plaza

Image Auto Sales

khbrailey
8/25/2015

"Great people and great experience"

Was very happy with how everyone treated us at Gateway Classic Cars. Todd was friendly and when we went out to look at the car he answered our questions but what impressed me most was when he wasn't sure about the answer he didn't make something up but told us he wasn't sure. He then went to the source and found the correct answer for us. Todd and company made the entire experience GREAT!!!! I would highly recommend Gateway. Ask for Todd...he is a good guy!!!

Nel4743
8/25/2015

"Making a dream a reality"

I would just like to thank Todd Soliday of Gateway Classic Cars in Tinley, IL. He made my year long search for the perfect vehicle for my husband easy. He quickly contacted me when I inquired about the Ford Ranchero. He was able to answer my questions about the vehicle, was willing to work with my friend to negotiate the deal, provided info about insuring the car and just was friendly. I appreciated the ease of working with Todd and if I'm ever in the market again to purchase a classic car, I hope my search begins and ends with Gateway. Thank you for helping make my dream a reality.

ljva.
8/18/2015

"No response."

I saw a car that I was interested in and e-mailed the dealer. No response until the second e-mail and no subsequent contact as promised. Car I was interested in was then taken off the website; not listed as sold. Very disappointing.

Unknown

twosix
8/13/2015

"67 Mustang"

I saw a 67 Mustang on the Gateway Classic Cars website and called Todd the next day to inquire. He was super friendly on the phone and gave me a very detailed description of the car. I saw it that afternoon and I was instantly pleased with his demeanor. He spend a great deal of time with me and my family while we looked at the 67 and other cars. Todd made the whole experience pleasant - I would definitely purchase another car from Gateway and Todd in the future.

bert
8/04/2015

"was very happy with the 1956 Chevy i got from you won a 2nd"

can't wait to show it again love my 1956 chevy 150 it was every thing you said it was had it shipped to me in an enclosed trailer wow cool, I am Wilbert Hale from Oxnard, CA. thanks again and just maybe I will buy again.

bob

Jgray
7/27/2015

"Todd was very helpful"

Bought a 1961 MG MGA and am very pleased with the vehicle. I bought the vehicle sight unseen because I am across the country. The pictures were very accurate and the car is just as the said..They also helped me with transportation.

Todd

DANNY WEEKS
7/21/2015

"LACK OF INTEGRITY"

BUYER BEWARE!!! I purchased a 1933 Ford Coupe from the ORLANDO location in May for $45,000. After paying an additional $1,100.00 to have the car delivered, The transport shows up with a car that will not start. The battery access cover was off and laying in the seat, the driver says "Yes, they had to jump it to load it" . We also jump it to get it out of his trailer. After 4 days trying to trickle charge the MARINE battery that was in the car, I remove it and take it to 2 reputable local repair shops, it failed load tests at both locations. I purchase a new battery and after installing it, the car still will not start! The starter now is making a God awful noise. I crawl under the car to find the starter HANGING LOOSE and barely engaging the flexplate. I tighten it up and the car finally fires! The starter still isn't sounding right, so I remove it to find the that the cast nose of the starter is cracked (I'm sure from numerous attempts to start the car while hanging loose) I purchase a new starter. I now have an additional $500.00 into this car plus my labor just to hear it run! I have called GATEWAY several times, I have forwarded pictures of the battery on the load tester, showing it FAILED, as well as pictures of the defective starter. GATEWAY'S response is "We aren't going to do anything for you" They sold a vehicle that would not start on their lot without assist. These issues did not "pop up" while in the trailer being delivered, GATEWAY was aware of them and misrepresented the vehicle . UNREPUTABLE * LACK OF INTREGITY * DISHONEST

Josh Chisolm

Doug C
7/13/2015

"Good job!"

After a local and national search for a low mileage, special 2008 Mustang, I recently found just what I was looking for on the Gateway Classic Cars - Fort Lauderdale website. As a former CFO, this was the first time that I considered buying a car without inspecting it, and a test drive. But this became a reality after talking to Will Shelnut several times by phone, and email. Will was like working with a friend, and I became comfortable doing what I had never done before. Will was helpful and honest about describing the car's features. When I saw the car, and pulled onto the freeway for the first time, I could feel that the car was everything that he described. Will also provided good advice in putting me in contact with Pete Victorero at Rite Way Auto Transport, who arranged the transportation. I chose a covered transport, and picked it up at a truck stop not far from home. I received excellent communication from Pete and the driver, and the delivery was made ahead of the time promised.

Will Shelnut

1973 z28 client
7/10/2015

"Very dishonest"

I sold a. Triple black 1973 z28 that had recently been professionally restored through the Detroit store about a year ago. They make a lot of promise to just get your car telling you they have buyers already lined up. I had the car looked over by a couple local dealers, and had a lot of good things to say about my car, but when I took my car over there, they tore it apart. I was stuck and had no place to store it since it was during the fall time. I deceived to let them sell it anyway. I asked them to disclose the faults of my car to the potential buyer, they refused saying they don't share with the buyer any issues with their cars unless they specifically are asked. I found their business practices to be shady at least and and unethical, crooked, and dishonest at most. My advise is to stay far away from dealing with this company.

Several

Narly1
6/08/2015

"Gateway Lies and scams"

There are two kinds of Internet classic car dealers. Those who are honest about what they are selling, take photos that clearly show what issues are with the car, and give true feedback when asked questions. Then there are those who take photos to cover issues, misrepresent what they are selling, and lie over the phone just so they can make a sale and make a few bucks. Gateway is certainly in the later camp! Recently, I found a classic Mercury on there sight and called them to discuss. While it was obvious the interior was worn, they claimed in writing and verbally that the sled was all steel and that no damage was found. They also said it was very lightly used and driven. I made an offer based on the conversation and description and they took an initial deposit of $1,000 to hold pending finalization of the deal. Luckily, I had an appraiser/friend heading to Chicago the next day and told Gateway I would give him the signed paperwork and if he confirmed what was advertised, we would close the deal. The very next day the appraiser went to Gateway and the report back was far from what was advertised in both writing and verbally. The car was NOT all steel, damage was found all over the car, and the drivers door was well off alignment and had issues closing. Further, the car was shown to be driven extremely hard and it had been at least 15-20 years since a restoration. The appraisal came in at $23,000 vs a sales list price of over $40,000. Now is where a truly BAD company raises its ugly head. I called the sales rep to let him know the findings and told him to please credit back the $1,000 deposit. He said that the "accounting team" refused and said I could us the credit on a future purchase within the next 6 months. They NEVER said the deposit was non refundable and the rep told me to dispute the charge. I did and the charge was reversed but amazing how these yahoos do business. Avoid this company!!! Plenty of other reputable folks out there looking to help collectors, seller, and buyers. Gateway SUCKS!

Todd

Narly1 responded to this review

June 13, 2015

I love it! Gateway continues to follow the "How to Run a Bad Business" playbook. When a customer complains and points out numerous deficiencies in a process, defend the company at all costs and completely disregard valid feedback from a customer. Instead of recognizing mistakes that occurred, defend that "since 1999 we have done it that way". Nobody cares that you have been running a business since 1999. They only care that they can trust who they are making a high value purchase from. And in this case- IT'S NOT GATEWAY! You salesperson NEVER used the words "courtesy hold" ... Never said the deposit was "non refundable"... But he did say, and it's clearly states in the description-- the car was all steel- NOPE. Also, he made several condition comments that were flat false-- funny you did not "defend" these claims. Just the deposit issue. How hard is it for business owners to just do the right thing. Mistakes happen in business everyday but it's how you respond to your mistakes that make you a strong and reputable company. Why can't businesses just say "we recognized that we made an error, we apologize, and want to make it right!" Had this of happened- all would be done. Instead- defend, defend, defend. It makes you look childish and it will impact your business negatively. Good luck in the future.

Gateway Classic Cars responded to this review

June 13, 2015

Brett: Thank you for the review. However, many of your accounts are incorrect. Since 1999, we have been doing business with the same core policies in place. The major one that deals with your negative review is the fact that ALL deposits become NON-refundable once your offer is accepted. Our inventory is consignment based and therefore we surely do not want to beat up our sellers on their price, advise them that we are selling their car, and later on find out you have backed out or changed your mind without any commitment. Salesmen have been stating this verbatim for 16 years. In fact, it is literally written on our website here - http://gatewayclassiccars.com/information. Our policies also allow a buyer to have a courtesy hold while a vehicle is getting inspected. In actuality, we favor this. Taking a deposit and having to refund it would complicate things and cost the company money. We have no problem with a buyer inspecting a car on their own or via third party. Lastly I want to rationalize something. Let's say we allowed buyers to make offers on our consigned vehicles pending an inspection; just how your story unfolds. If the seller discounts the car 1000 dollars and you have it inspected afterwards, and the report comes out better than your assumption when making the offer, can the seller then raise their price? No? This is the flip side of the coin if we did business as your review states. Our company is not out to do this to our customers nor keep deposits without providing someone with a car.