Gateway Classic Cars

Exotic Motors Midwest

LoveCars, Not THEIRS!!
3/27/2015

"Beware"

Glossy pictures, crap cars. Beware. Sad but true. Feel sorry for those that purchase what they think is an awesome car, but end up with a lemon. Beware, they are not dream cars.

Owner

NervousMama
3/26/2015

"Took the Time to Help Me Understand My Needs"

I called the location in Tinley Park and spoke with a gentleman named Todd Soliday. Mr. Soliday was kind enough to help me understand what I should be looking for when my son is ready for his first car (coming up very soon), and how much we should be saving. We aren't quite ready to make a purchase yet, but I know that when we are I want Mr. Soliday to help us through the process.

bdallsports
3/23/2015

"Good experience with Chicago group"

We inherited 2 Mod A replicas, one a 1929 Shay Roadster and the other 1930 Replicar Pantheon. we shipped them to Gateway for temporary storage since we had no idea what to do with them. A very patient Doug handled the storage situation . While in storage we met Brian who was both in sales and maintenance. Brian convinced us that the best thing to do was to consign the cars to Gateway to sell, so we had Brian list both cars. Brian informed us of a couple of problems with both cars. . We made the repairs which were minor but took 2 wks. to complete. Gregg allowed us an extra 2 wks on the listing . Steve , an excellent salesman sold the Shay in Feb 2015 and we re-listed the Replicar. In March 2015 Todd another very good sales person sold the Replicar. Although we did not get the price we wanted on both cars it was double what the estate would have received. If we had to do it over again the Gateway Chicago team of Brian, Steve and Todd would be our choice.. We are happy with the entire Gateway staff. Bill & Phyllis Doherty

Brian, Steve, Todd, Doug & Gregg

misty123
3/20/2015

"Didn't get the car that was advertised"

I bought a '71 Buick Skylark GS and in the ad it stated "This car is ready to drive down to the beach", and "It rides and stops with ease." Wow, this couldn't have been more untrue! After receiving the car from the Tampa dealership (I live in California) I noticed the brakes were almost completely shot. I took it to a shop that specializes in classic cars, but was afraid I wouldn't make it there without having an accident, that's how poor the brakes were. The car also died without any discernible cause, in both forward and reverse. Well, long story short, the shop had to put in new brakes, new pads, & new rotors. On top of that the carburetor was bad, the muffler was shot, & the entire exhaust system had to be replaced (and the list goes on and on in regards to more minor things wrong with the car). Well, after more than $10,000 in repairs and four months after I bought it I finally have a car that runs correctly. I believe my sales rep, Rob knew the car had major problems because when I suggested I get it tuned up before I bought it, plus have a mechanic inspect it he wrote this to me in an e-mail "The tune-up has not been done since rebuild, however its just recommended, not necessarily required. I can have a mechanic come by and do an inspection, but truth is I actually have some undercarriage pictures that show newly installed control arms and suspension components. I would set up a mechanic to come look at it, but I would need a $1000 deposit on the car first. then you would need to pay the $100 to the mechanic separately. Truth is I would prefer to save you an extra couple of bucks on the inspection, and hope you can see from the pictures I’m sending that it has had a lot of work done." Well, obviously I believed him, and bought it without having the tune up done first, or having a mechanic inspect it, and as a result I had to spend the above mentioned $10,000 plus in repairs just to get the car operational. This is the worst kind of salesmanship, which is basically deceitful. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this dealership. By the way, I'm sure their response will be "why did you wait four months before letting us know", which I've read is their usual response to complaints. My response would be that I wanted to get all the repairs done first before writing this review, and it took this long. Whatever they say in response to my review, don't believe it. It will simply be another untruth in an attempt to defend themselves and their dealership.

Rob Weber

Chris
3/20/2015

"Excellent Experience"

The team at the Gateway Classics Chicago showroom are fantastic! They sold my '73 Corvette in just 2 1/2 weeks! I am currently selling my '75 Corvette with their help. Steve, Todd and Brian make an awesome team and I look forward to selling cars through them in the future!

Steve, Todd, Brian

GeorgeS
3/18/2015

"Gateway Classic Service"

I just bout a 1990 Ford GT and had a fantastic experience. Todd and the rest of the crew in Chicago are some of the most professional people I have worked with. They were able to answer all of my questions and treated me like a customer not a number. They treated me as if I was buying a half million dollar Shelby not a 10k GT. He answered my 20-30 some calls with all sorts of questions and even pointed me in the right direction for a great appraiser and various choices as far as financing. These guys are all about service and LISTENED to the needs and wants that I had. Best experience I have had hands down when it comes to buying a car. Very professional, very nice! I would recommend this place to anyone as they know what they are doing from A-Z including shipping. They linked me up with some great shippers at Sims Global Solutions who answered all the questions I had and worked closely with Todd to get the car moved in a timely fashion for me. Thanks again, George

guitarman62
3/17/2015

"I love my 1979 10th anniversary trans am"

First let me say I'am no car guy. What I mean by that is I never have built or worked on any car in my life. I however do come from a Harley Davidson back ground so i know how to hold a wrench(kinda) I had been looking for a 70's era T/A for some time. I did not relay care what year from 76-79. I found three dealers that specialized in vintage cars that had some nice stuff on their lots. I knew that my car would have to be shipped to me since it is winter here and we have a ton of salt on our roads not wanting to drive a nice car though it. So Picked out one of my favorite cars and gave a call to see the cost of shipping. I called gateway classic cars in Il. Which is the closest to me about a six hour ride. I thought we could ride down and take a look see. The sales men that answered the phone was Todd. Todd is a very nice guy and easy to talk to. I told him my plan and he said he would get me a shipping quote. In just a few minuets he got back to me with two quotes. I told him I would take the car and gave a deposit to hold the car. From there on out it was too easy. It took just a short time to get the paper work and wire the money over. I asked Todd a few questions concerning the car and he answered them very honestly. Now I have to say buying something like this sight unseen is a little nerve racking but I 'am realistic as well I had seen all the pics on the web sight and saw the flaws the car had. I knew a 36 year old car with 30,000 mile and all original paint would be nice but I still did not expect perfection. Heck back in the 70's these cars were not perfect when new in fact far from it. Lets face it I love these cars but any of us that was a teen in the 70's know that the 70's cars is what helped kill the US auto makers. Ant way Todd called me and told me the transport wanted to pick up my car right away so i never made the trip to even see it. I said ship it. The trans port folks were the best they were a husband and wife teem with a beautiful car hauler. They had six cars in it and it was cool. They were so very nice and accommodating. Unloaded my new "old" car in -17deg. It was so cold it took me a few days to truly look it over. Yes the car had some small issues but like i said in 36 years plastic rots and falls apart.But the car is and was 95% done. So with some help from the inter net and Fbodywarehouse. The car is in great shape and runs like a top. I say good job to Todd and the boys a Gateway classic cars. Would I recommend them. YES I would, In fact i would buy from Todd again. I just may, A 1979 Z28 would look cool next to my Trans Am. So Big Thank you to Todd,Gateway classic cars the transport folks and Fbodywarehouse. We could not be happier.

Todd

NUTHP
3/12/2015

"Good Experience Overall. "

Good service and professional attitude was what I experienced with Gateway Classics. Todd Soliday was very helpful and with reliable communication helped with the purchase of the 1981 Ford Classic Model A, built by Replicar. Todd made the paper work easy in the transaction. I would do business again in the future with the Chicago Team.

Cyleste
2/16/2015

"Vehicle was not as advertised"

This review is for the Tampa showroom. Bought a 1971 Nova from a salesman named Rob. When asked, he stated that there were NO problems with this vehicle. I wanted to know the small details of what I would need to fix when I received it. He ensured me everything was in working order....this was not the case. First he shipped the car with a dead battery and no gas. He emailed my wife saying the key was left in the in position all night....ok then a reputable dealership would have 1) waited until this battery was completely recharged before shipping, or 2) replaced the battery. They did neither. Then I had to drive up to the local gas station to get 5 gal of gas just to get it started. After 2 hours of working on it, it finally started. That was just the start of this debacle. Other issues upon receipt...1) headlight knob pulled right off first time I tried to turn them on, 2) no rear seatbelts, 3) blinkers do not work, 4) gas guage and speedometer do not operate. Still looking for others. Bottom line, if you are considering purchasing a vehicle from this organization, YOU will need to ask specific questions or the vehicle you recieve will probably not be what you are asking for. Also, even if Rob didn't know all of these issues existed, then your salesperson may not have taken the time to go through the vehicle you want to buy, therefore you could possibly end up like me....sending the vehicle to the shop so it can be driven legally on the road. This is the first negative review I have ever put online...that is how disappointed I am.

Rob

Bob399
2/03/2015

"Watch out for Gateway Classic Cars"

This dealer has very bad customer service. I paid $32000 for a car in December 2014 that is not what they advertised. First they mailed me a title signed by someone other than the seller. DMV rejected it. Then the NC Theft Bureau told me the VIN tag on the door does not match the title or the serial number on the frame. Now I've got a car that has to be bonded and Gateway's staff won't assist or take my calls. Watch out!!!!

Chris Grazer and Christine

Gateway Classic Cars responded to this review

February 09, 2015

Our company has been in complete and consistent communications with this customer. He is correct that the title and VIN had a clerical error and received one incorrect digit. After finding said error, our accounting staff spent 2 hours on the phone with his state's DMV to find the appropriate resolution. We then called our buyer to advise how to best go about getting the issue resolved. We also uncovered, a vehicle will be bonded for theft if there is reason to believe the car is stolen. This customer was already issued a new, clear, title to his name with a simple one digit clerical error. The appropriate fix is an easy one; a VIN verification form gets filled out and a new title gets issued. We do not turn our backs on our customers. Instead, we listened to his account of the situation and took it upon ourselves to source out the best resolution. Gateway Classic Cars