Gateway Classic Cars

5 Star Auto Plaza

Exotic Motors Midwest

Flyboy
7/21/2016

"Don't trust the salesman!"

I purchased a car from the Detroit showroom. Since I was making the deal 700 miles away I trusted that the salesman would would be honest with me. They have several showrooms across the country and I thought they had credibility. I asked the salesman if everything worked on the car, lights, Windows, engine leaks, etc and he replied yes. After having the car was trucked 700 miles many issues immediately surfaced....none of the windows rolled up, none of the interior light worked and I'm expecting other issues to surface and this purchase become a money pit. Lesson learned, never purchase a car without personally inspecting, shame on me. I have no recourse with Gateway since no warranty comes with their cars. If the salesman would of been honest with me and inspected the car as promised I could of made a better decision to buy or pass, however his sales pitch over the phone was the car was 100%.

Tony

eternity8642
7/12/2016

"THE WORST EXPERIENCE"

The worst experience I have ever had buying a car. While the staff was friendly we purchased a blue 1966 mustang from the Houston showroom. After many promises them telling us how closly the cars are insepected before they sell them my husband for my 10 year anniversary tried to surprise me from Afghanistan with this car. It was supposed to be delivered on a thursday and when it didn't show up I called the dealership apparently they put my car on the wrong transportation vehicle and sent it to California rather than Mississippi. I had already paid the transport company for express shipping and no one from the dealership even though they knew of the error contacted the owners. I asked how my car could possible have made its way onto another transport vehicle with a different company they said it was late and the driver didn't speak good english, then refused to pay the difference in the expedited fees. Well my 10 year suprise was ruined. They put 100+ photos told us how great the car was the car was delivered 6 days late, they brought it to my work put it in a parking spot. no damage so I thought great at least it is here...well 5 pm I leave work and it left me stranded on the side of the road. I contacted Milton the sales rep at 5:15pm to tell him the car was not running. he said he would call the sellers and get back to me immediatly 2 days later no call. I had to have my new car put into the shop. It had major transmission, oil, and coolant leaks, the rear transmission seal was broken, carb gaskets were broken, the starter broke because how bad the leak was from the coolant, exhaust leakss, then they listed the car to have a working radio and power brakes. it has neither they have the original drum brakes $1000 to change over. we contacted the owners and rather than fix all their mistakes and this horrible experience we were told they are just a third party company and just posted on the website what the owners told them. So all that nonsense about they great inspection was clearly a lie. I am out another $1600 in reparis, its been 5 days its still in the shop undrivable. But the worst part about this is while my husband is in the desert for the 5th time defending his county his huge suprise for me for our 10 year anniversary was ruined and he can't even get any assistance. ITS A SHAME! they are nothing but scam artists.

Mitons Joya, and Shawn Kunst

wildfisch
7/05/2016

"Love My rare Nissan 240SX!"

Nic was very helpful in explaining how their organization worked as opposed to a regular car dealership as the cars aren't actually owned by Gateway they are selling them on consignment. I was able to get in to see the car on a Saturday. Nic was super laid back and accommodating and took his time to go over the car with me. We took a short test drive and I made my first offer to the owner of the car. It was lower than the client would take so I thanked him and went on my way. The following Monday I called Nic and asked if he thought the client would accept a slightly higher bid. He agreed to take my new offer back to his client. After a couple of back and forths the deal was struck over the phone. Nic sent me the paperwork to sign and I picked up the car the next Friday. It was also awesome to see some of the really classic cars at their Chicago location. Better than most auto shows!

Nic Thom

Km16_16
6/27/2016

"1968 impala"

Bought a 1968 impala from Gateway in Tinley Park. Nic and Todd were great to work with and made the buying experience very smooth. I love the car and would recommend anyone interested in buying a classic car go and visit these guys. They have a huge selection in every price range and are quick to answer any questions you may have

Nic Thom, Todd Soliday

freedom45
6/20/2016

"Excellent Customer Service and Communication"

We recently purchased a 1973 Z28 Camaro and had an excellent experience. We live in Green Bay, WI, so we weren't able to actually see the vehicle or test drive it before purchasing it. Cody was wonderful to work with. He sent us extra pictures and video so that we could really "see" the vehicle. Once we made the trip to Nashville to pick up the vehicle, there were not any surprises...Cody was up front and honest about the condition and features of the vehicle. If we are ever in the market for another Classic Car, we will definitely look to Cody and Gateway Classic Cars first!

Cody

raanto
6/03/2016

"1992 Camaro RS Purchase"

I have been looking for a generation 3 Camaro for my wife for about 6 months. I found this one for sale in the Chicago showroom via their website. I made a call to the showroom on a Saturday and spoke with NIc to get more information and he was very helpful. After showing the car to my wife via the website, I called NIc back and placed a deposit on the car. We traveled to Chicago from the St. Louis area the following Monday to take a look at the car. Nic answered all of our questions honestly, showed us all aspects of the car, and pointed out the few flaws that he knew the the car had (a slight discoloration on one of the decals and a/c blowing cool not cold). We completed the paperwork and drove the car back to St. Louis. Nic was great to deal with. This is our second purchase from Gateway Classic Cars. Customers need to keep in mind that Gateway is a consignment operation and they can only pass on the information that they receive from the owner. Will definitely deal with Gateway Classic Cars in the future.

Nic

Phillip chambers
5/17/2016

"Quicker than expected"

Gateway is awesome!!! Sold my truck in 45 days and I got more than I wanted by listening to their recommendations. Very easy to work with and professional

Bill

TacklingDummy
5/15/2016

"Bought a 1986 Toyota Landcruiser"

I had been looking for an FJ60/62 for awhile. I found a restored one at Gateway. Nic Thom worked with me to get the deal I wanted. He was very straightforward and honest. Not pushy. End the end,it was a good experience. Happy with the car.

Nic Thom

Chris corvette
5/12/2016

"Lied and deceived me about corvette."

Buyer beware. I paid 20,000 for a corvette that was supposed to be in turn key condition. I asked the salesman (Trevor) if the AC blew cold point blank so there could be no confusion and he said yes. I was having the car shipped to Tampa area and relied on them to tell me the truth about the car. They shot a video of it running and driving as well as tons of photos however they didn't say that the car was barely running. The car was shipped to me and it barely ran, the AC was totally gone (compressor seals). The rear end was clunking and had to be replaced. It went from the delivery truck straight to the shop and is still there. The bill is over 6,000 now and it needed new brake master cylinder, ac, rear end and a plethora of other things. When I called and told them this and that they flat out lied about the cars condition all they could say was "you bought it as is". I did not expect this as I know they deal in a lot of classic cars and figured they would not blatantly lie about the cars condition. They conveniently left out a photo of the fiberglass door jam that is completely broken and will be a major expense to repair (not worth putting that much money into the car). This was a 77 vette, red, 383 stroker. Still can see their EBay posting. I will provide all receipts and documentation from my (very reputable classic car) mechanic if anyone is interested just email me at Chris@classictampabay.com or call me at 813-695-6754. Get an inspection because you can't believe a word these people say. They deliberately and blatantly lied to me about the obvious problems with the car.

Trevor

Gateway Classic Cars responded to this review

May 20, 2016

This customer called in and made an offer to the seller on a vehicle we had online for one day's time. He received a discounted price and then refused to pay until his parents inspected and test drove the vehicle. Not a problem. We held it off the market in his favor until they could do so. They looked over the car on his behalf and test drove it for him. They reported back that all was good and he completed the deal. After the deal was complete he wanted his parents to come pick up the vehicle and drive it home to him, 19 hours away. We checked the fluids and tire pressure and sent them on their way. They made a 19 hour drive in this car without issue other than we were told "the brakes are a bit squeaky." Brakes, tires, and alignments are all normal wear and tear items. This is a 2007 Corvette with almost 95,000 miles. It made the 19 hour drive without issue so we clearly did not sell them a lemon or a car with a lot of issues as he is claiming or it wouldn't have made that trip. Also, all of our vehicles are AS IS, Where Is, with No Warranty. We allow inspections and test drives and they inspected and test drove this vehicle before buying it. We are not offering help as again, it is As Is, Where Is and that was known from the beginning. It is clearly marked on our website and all of our purchase paperwork. We have 30 days to issue a title by law, and we are still well within our range to do that. We issue a temp tag to drive on during those 30 days and they were able to make a 19 hour trip on that temp tag without issue. If the paperwork is not 100% correct we cannot get a title, so if we are asking for something signed from you it is probably required to get the title in your possession as soon as possible.

Neh1000
5/09/2016

"Patient "

Took a little bit longer to finalize things but the guys helped get over the few obstacles that came up. Very helpful in getting things done.

Todd and Nick