Larry Stigers Truck Sales

Larry Stigers Truck Sales
Larry Stigers Truck Sales Info

Glenn Auto Mall Pre-Owned

Auto Plaza USA

"Bring your own mechanic or stay home"

Words of advice for any buyers of vehicles in KY in general and especially here - there are no lemon laws and once you leave the lot it's yours. If you don't get it in writing you are on your own at this dealer. Consider that fine looking "solid truck" you were told has been thru the shop... likely it got some cheap paint and all of the check engine codes reset and fluids topped off so that you can make it a few miles down the road before the problems start. I have been the unfortunate owner of a 2004 F250 that required over $4k in repairs in the first month, and when asked for help was told I should expect things to go wrong on used vehicles.... I didn't expect everything to be perfect but something that has "been thru or shop" should last more than a couple of weeks... I took truck to shop after a couple of weeks of minimal driving and was told the EGR cooler was bad and likely had been since before I bought it with the damage that occurred and the few hundred miles I had driven. At that time I was informed that the brakes were shot on the front and one of the wheel bearings was going bad. I finally have truck back now after waiting on the shop to get everything fixed past week and am not a real happy camper. I wish I had read these other reviews before I drove a few hours to try to save a couple of bucks. I have no doubt that a deal can be had here but if you are not a mechanic and don't have diagnostic tools stay away.

Larry

"Dealer was rude and insulting when I didn't want to purchase"

I called this morning (Easter Sunday) to see if they would be open. I got a call back from Mr. Stigers who seemed friendly and accommodating. He gave me a number to call Mr. Rose to see if he was working today. I thought that was a little odd but whatever, I called and he said he would be there until 5. I was coming from Louisville (44 miles or so) to look at a 2008 Ford F350 crew cab dually, $21,900 FIRM on the window. On arrival Mr. Rose was friendly and brought the truck out for us to view it as they have a very packed lot. Then he immediately starts trying to put freon in it cause the air isn't cooling. No big deal, I go on with my inspection. I ask about a carfax report and he says that I would have to get my own. He tells us to take a drive so my friend and I go about a mile up the road to a parking lot where we can do a good inspection without any interruption. It's a fairly good looking truck but has a few issues: radio doesn't come on at all, sunroof button falls into the ceiling, air wasn't cold, brakes were spongy, front end wobble, tires wearing unevenly, an exhaust hanger was broken and just hanging and "clanking" against the pipe and there was some body damage to one of the rear flares from a tire blowout. I return the truck and walk inside. He asks "well what do you think?" I politely replied "it's nice but not for me, do you have anything similar?" He said one with a flat bed but that isn't what I was looking for. He asked why I wasn't interested. I explained the issues and he got defensive and said that it wouldn't take any time and not much money to fix those things and if they did that, it would be a $30,000 truck. I didn't ask him to fix these things, I just told him why I wasn't interested. I explained that I understood, I just wasn't looking for a truck that I had to fix a bunch of stuff on on top of the modifications that I intend to do (building another repo truck). As I was making my way to the door he kept telling me that I was going to regret not buying this truck and the last thing he said as he followed me out the door was "call me when you get your head out of the clouds". Now, Mr. Rose is an older gentleman and maybe all he saw was a young kid (i'm 37) with tattoos and a beard and thought I was joy riding (we test drove for 10 minutes) but I have been shopping for a month and there was actually a black 7.3 Ford sitting there that I wouldn't have minded looking at if his attitude hadn't killed it for me. Funny thing is, I had nearly twice his asking price (in cash) in the car. I ended up meeting a Craigslist seller about 2 miles away and bought a much nicer truck for just a little more. Save yourself some agony, shop elsewhere.

Larry Rose

"Drove 6 hours to buy a van. Was never told or read..."

Drove 6 hours to buy a van. Was never told or read anywhere where it's "cash only" (no credit cards), so we did not have a checking book. The owner said we could take the van with us and he would keep the title until we sent him a check via UPS and then he would send after receiving the check vis UPS. Great! We had to put a new starter in it the next morning before leaving. We drove the van back home and sent him the check, as promised. However,we did not receive the title on the date, as promised. When I called about it I was told they had written address incorrectly on the package to us and we should go to the incorrect address and ask for tit in case UPS left it there. I explained this is a city and you can't exactly do that. The employee, another Larry) was useless on the phone suggesting I should not be upset and was irritated I displayed displeasure with the careless way they handled the return of the title to us. In fact, he got very rude and hung up on me leaving me to try and track down a piece of mail with the only title to a vehicle I purchased from them and had, by this point, put in a new starter, put 4 new tires to replace the balding ones on it, had the blend door fixed for the heat and A/C ($$$$), and a new security system. SO, now,the guy on the phone was upset because he thought I had attitude. YES! I DID have attitude because he was not willing to try and help (other than giving me the tracking number to handle myself). I had to make multiple calls and ended up driving an hour to the UPS station to retrieve it. Thankfully, UPS had not just left it in the person's mailbox at the wrong address. (which they sometimes do in the city) I guess mistakes can happen, BUT the employee should have been apologetic and tried to track it down himself when it was their error. Ultimately, we could have been out of a title for quite some time if it had been lost because the van was still registered to Stigers Larry Equipment Co. and they would have to request and pay for the duplicate title out of Kentucky. I'm not even sure if they would have gone to the trouble of ordering a duplicate title for us based on my phone call to them. Hence, we would had to hire a lawyer. So, for those reasons, I give this place ONE star; they really need to work on their customer relations.

Larry (salesman)

"I was highly disappointed in both the quality of the..."

I was highly disappointed in both the quality of the vehicle purchased and the customer service when dealing with Larry Stigers Truck Sales. The truck was assured to have been thoroughly inspected upon arriving at their lot, but could not have been. We were still in viewing distance of the dealership when started having troubles. The truck would not accept gas, regardless of which way the nozzle was held or how quickly gas was fed to the vehicle. The salesman had taken it over to put gas in for the test drive and never mentioned any problems. We called them and he came back over (this is the only customer service we received from them including 6 other attempts to contact the owner). He cut some zip ties off the line, but this did not help anything. After literally 20 minutes as the gas station I had enough fuel to make it home and accepted it was a fix I would be making. The truck then proceeded to miss a cylinder sporadically on the way home. I immediatly took it to a mechanic's shop to be checked out and it was discovered that it would likely need $800 in repairs, not counting the fuel line and a general tune-up which it obviously was not given at the dealership. I tried to contact Larry Stiger five different times in the next week without any success. We requested a call back each time but never got one, each time given a different excuse as to why he was unavailable. They do offer a warranty plan but I was not given details about it at the time of purchase, nor was it mentioned in any of the five later calls. I chose to buy from Larry Stigers because of the selection offered and it was the closest to where I live. I would suggest anyone looking for a utility truck or van to seek them elsewhere, it is not worth your trouble to go through an ordeal similar to mine.

Brian

"Salesperson sold us a truck and assured us the truck had..."

Salesperson sold us a truck and assured us the truck had no problems . Sold us extended warranty and then would not hoor it or refund our money for the warranty . Cost us 3100.00 in repairs in 3 months

Larry Stiger and salesperson on Sunday

"Friendly sales staff, eager to show wide variety of..."

Friendly sales staff, eager to show wide variety of trucks and fairly knowledgeable about products. However, carfax showed trucks coming mostly from out of state. Many vehicles on lot had rust and body damage, poor interiors and very high miles. Prices seemed in line with condition usually (I was looking for a cheap work truck anyway). I have heard stories from others in the community of POSSIBLE rebuilt wrecks, salvage titles, out-of-state title issues, vehicles sold without airbags present, and so on. I cannot verify any of these, I am merely presenting these at face value so proceed with caution. I decided not to buy from this dealer, mostly as I didn't find the exact truck I was looking for but also because of poor local reputation.