My process started out of state, as all the dealerships in Arizona didn't have the Wicked White Evolution GSR I wanted. I also wanted to get the Sight and Sound package on this car, and that was a big selling point for me. After contacting multiple dealerships and searching the country, I found that there was only 1 left in the nation and that it was at South Coast Mitsubishi. I called and I got Munshi. This is where the whole process went downhill very quickly. Most of our conversations was through text so I have time stamps and the text itself all recorded for this review as well.
I was ready to buy the same day that I called which was 4/15, however my salesman Munshi wanted me to get preapproved, which I understood. I submitted that all same day at 4/15 5:31PM.
Didn't hear anything from him for an entire day so I texted him at 8:35AM on 4/16 seeing if there is anything he needed from me, and he responded and told me he would have everything done so we could get the ball rolling the next day, next day being 4/17.
Next time I heard from him was at 11:03AM 4/17 confirming the car I wanted to purchase, which was the 2014 GSR with the Sight & Sound, Navigation, interior upgrade, and wheel locks. I texted him again at 1:03 on 4/17 to see if there was any news and he told me that his boss was working on the numbers and he would get back to me once he got the numbers finished. He then texted me at 4:03PM on 4/17 and sent me the per month price for someone else’s car. Quickly after doing so apologized and gave me the actual payments per month. Soon after, I texted him back and asked him to give me a price breakdown of everything after taxes so I could see it instead of just that monthly number. Munshi told me that his boss, E has to print it so he would have to wait. I understood and gave him my email.
I didn't hear anything from him so I texted him at 6:20PM on 4/17 asking if we were still waiting of the numbers, Munshi replied the next day on 4/18 at 10:08PM saying that his phone wasn't working and confirmed monthly payments yet again with me. Feeling that there was a disconnect, I asked Munshi for an itemized breakdown and total sent to my email so I could review and we could move forward. I didn't hear from him all day and sent another text without a response.
I then texted Munshi at 4/19 1:22PM telling him that I was ready to move forward and that I haven't heard from him. He texted me back with an invoice/MSRP breakdown of pricing which wasn't what I was asking for. I then asked for an updated invoice as that one didn't include navigation, and wanted to confirm the exact breakdown that I was looking for.
I didn't hear anything from him so I texted Munshi on 4/20 11:37AM. His boss then wanted me to send him a copy of my driver’s license and copy of insurance to his boss’s Gmail, which I thought was odd but no problem. They were sent on 4/20 at 12:54PM. Munshi then texted me back and confirmed colors with me, and then sent me a picture of the breakdown which didn't include the things I was asking for, just yet again the total price broken down into monthly payments. I texted him back and asked for the breakdown again on 4/20 at 3:00PM. He said that he would send it, and then got a call from him at 4:33PM saying that his phone was broken and he couldn't respond but that he would be able to contact me at about 7PM later in the day. I didn't hear back from him at all that day.
So I then sent him a text on 4/21 at 6:11AM letting him know that I was still waiting for the breakdown. He texted me back and asked me to call him. Because of my job, I can respond fairly quickly via email or text, just not as easy through calling. So I told him that he could just email me or text me the breakdown so that we could move forward, rather than going through it over the phone.
He then texted me the breakdown at 10:46AM 04/21. There was markup on the vehicle to which I texted him back at 12:46PM saying that if he could take that off, I would be ready to move forward with the deal. He told me his boss, Eric, cleared it shortly after, and I texted back at 04/21 1:05PM saying that I have my own financing moving forward. Munshi wanted to check if they could get a better deal for me than my banks APR however that he couldn't beat it on 4/21 at 2:32PM.
Everything on my end was good moving forward, I followed up at 2:55PM on 4/21 to see if there was anything else he needed from me to secure the deal, Munshi then texts me asking for me to call him. He informs me over the phone that there is someone willing to pay cash, 12k over MSRP to secure this car. He told me that he will work with his manager as I have been trying to secure this car for a while, but he wasn't sure what he could do.
I then get a text at 3:13PM telling me that he has good and bad news. The bad news that they are selling it to this person that just walked in offering 12k over MSRP. The good news being that they have 2 more in the lot, but not the color I want. Also one that is white without the Sight and Sound package.
This was more than troubling and everyone who I talked to about this situation was just as dumbfounded as I was. I quickly reached out to another dealership to see if there was any other cars that I could secure however it seemed that there wasn't. I told Munshi I didn't know if I wanted to continue, however he called me shortly and as deflated as I was, I told him if I didn't pay any markup on the basic model just as we agreed on, I would go through him. I wish I was smarter and stopped the entire process looking back on it.
Later on in the day, at 6:44PM on 4/21, Munshi tells me that I need to make a deposit for the car to make sure they hold it. I quickly do as they have already sold a car out from under me, and he confirms that it's secured at 7:06PM that night. Munshi explained to me that once the car was bought the deposit on the car would be refunded no problem.
I worked with my bank and on 4/22 2:18PM and they had documents that they wanted them to send over. He worked with them and I asked about the add-ons that we talked about before with no response.
I don't hear from him so I text him on 4/23 at 10:44AM to confirm with him, however he said he couldn't confirm anything until tomorrow and would get back to me. I also got overnight paper work with pricing that we didn't agree on as it included a $2,000 markup, and the total didn’t add up as there was a $200 which my bank pointed out to me later on, as well as all the other paperwork that I needed to sign. I held off on that and decided I would talk to my bank/South Coast Mitsubishi about it the next day.
On 4/24 I send a text letting him know that we needed to get the wire transfer done before a certain time as the day was Friday, and the wire transfer would have to be done by then, or we would have to wait till Monday. Munshi understood and would make sure we got that taken care of. I also asked about the pricing on the paper that they had sent me but he explained that he wasn't sure, but that he would ask his boss. He then asked me to call him and explained that my bank would be able to explain the charges and to confirm with them.
Once I got to the bank and with my banker Tonya, who was absolutely fantastic through this process, began to tell me that they would in fact be charging markup on the car, however one of Mitsubishi's factory rebates would make it so it didn't cost me anything. I explained over the phone to Munshi's boss, Eric who was the finance manager, which I and Munshi had agreed that I wouldn't be paying for any markup on the vehicle. Eric said that wouldn't ever happen and that I would have to pay markup for it. Frustrated Tonya and I explained to Eric this was agreed upon but Eric still refused to honor what Munshi promised. Due to this being the last step in the process and me being excited overall, I chose to move forward even though I was lied to about the price. Eric said that he would help me with $200 on something to the car, such as wheel locks I wanted, to make up for the mystery charge so they wouldn’t’ have to resend the paper work and further delay the deal, however unsurprisingly that never happened either.
Frustrated but eager to purchase one of my dream cars, I decided that I would move forward even with the extra markup. I wire transferred the money and we were set. I contacted Munshi and asked for an ETA on the delivery on 4/24 at 7:37 PM so I could set my delivery company up to pick up the car. Munshi explained to me that because of some of the packages I wanted, the car was being worked on and he wouldn't have an ETA until that was done.
I don't hear from Munshi so I texted him at 4/26 11:17AM explaining that my company did have some trucks in the area so I needed to know if we could setup a time to pick up.
I still don't hear from Munshi and I follow up with a text on 4/27 9:02AM asking what the status of the car is. Munshi then explains to me that South Coast Mitsubishi wasn't able to verify funds, so I reached out to Tonya, and they faxed the confirmation to South Coast Mitsubishi, and directly to Eric.
I then follow up with Munshi later in the day 4/27 12:01PM to confirm that South Coast Mitsubishi was able to confirm everything with the bank. Munshi explains to me that it hasn't hit their account, even though the money was gone from my account. I then reached out again to my bank, who again verified payment with South Coast Mitsubishi so we could get a delivery time setup for my company to pick up the car.
I don't hear anything from Munshi, so I reach out again to him on 4/28 at 12:31PM confirming that everything has been confirmed for them, and to make sure the parts were all installed. Tonya also asked for all the paperwork to be sent with the car so that I would be able to register it when I got the car, such as the Title. Munshi said he would check and he would be right back. I don't hear from him for a couple of hours, so I text him at 2:13PM on 4/28, no response.
I then text him again on 4/29 at 3:27PM to again check on the status of the car, Munshi explains that the parts are installed however that I couldn't pick it up because he needed two "Go's" from two mangers, and Eric had gone to Vegas for the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight, so that I would have to wait at least until Thursday. I also asked about the deposit that I had given them, as it hasn't come back to me, Munshi told me that it would be refunded but at the end of the month, and that he didn't have any control of that.
I setup a pickup with my delivery company for 5/1, as that would give time for the car to be ready and the big "Go's" from the managers. I then get a call at 2:39PM from my pickup company that South Coast Mitsubishi again somehow couldn’t confirm payment and that they were refusing the pickup of the car. I called Munshi and he said that it is good to go for pickup, and also states that his boss, Eric, is right next to him so he could verify, but that I should give his boss Eric a call even though he is physically sitting right next to him.
I try and call Eric but I am told by another salesman on the phone he is on the phone with a bank and couldn't be reached. I leave a message, and send an email to Eric saying that if the car isn't on the back of the truck by the end of the day I would like to move back on the deal. Very quickly after that email, I get a text from Munshi saying that the car has left South Coast Mitsubishi
and it's on its way.
The car was then delivered with tons of hard water stains on the rear of the car, not only that but South Coast Mitsubishi didn't send the title with the car so I didn’t have any way of actually registering the car itself. I asked the driver if that was there when he picked up the car and he said that the watermarks were indeed there. I also noticed that the car didn’t even have a full tank of gas, and only had 5 miles of range for me to put gas into it. I reached out to my bank and had a conference call with the bank and Eric. He said that the title was put in the car but yet it was nowhere to be found. Eric unapologetically told me that they will overnight the documents to me.
I also started to look through the car to see if there was any upgrades that Eric promised me would be on the car, however I didn’t get the interior upgrade, or the wheel locks I asked for.
You would think that I would be done dealing with South Coast Mitsubishi at this point, but of course this is just positive thinking.
I continued to call South Coast Mitsubishi to get my $1,000 deposit I put on the car. I even texted Munshi saying that I would be disputing the charge with American Express since they weren't willing to refund the money. Munshi responded and said that it was out of his control but it was also rude to text him which floored me as I was still out a extra $1,000 for the deposit.
I pushed to talk to a manager above Eric as he was absolutely no help. I finally got into contact with Chuck and Allan, who was even less of a help. In talking to both of them, they explained that I was [B]lucky[B] that I only had to pay $2,000 in markup and that they can't help me out with the parts that were in writing. Not only that but they realized that they still needed to refund me and didn't apologize for any of the experience or the deposit refund. After 2-3 days, I finally did get the refund however getting a "no hassle" deposit back shouldn't be this hard with any business.
Frustrated I contacted the Better Business Bureau and emailed Mitsubishi's company HQ's. The Better Business Bureau reports them as a D- company, which isn't surprising after my experience. Mitsubishi HQ did respond with this
"Thank you for your email to Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) regarding the unsatisfactory sales experience.
It is never our intention to have anyone less than completely satisfied with any aspect of his or her Mitsubishi ownership experience. I apologize for any inconvenience the situation you described may have caused you and understand how frustrated you must feel.
Please be advised that all authorized Mitsubishi dealerships are independently owned and operated. As such, they engage in the retail sales and service of Mitsubishi products for their own account, and not as agents of Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
After carefully reading your email it seems you are in touch with the Managers of South Coast Mitsubishi we would recommend to continue working with the Managers, if you haven’t done so already we also recommend speaking with the GM whom has the highest authority at the dealership Mr. Abbas Ahmadi.
Thank you again for your comments, and we certainly hope that you will do business with Mitsubishi Motors in the future."
After receiving this I tried to contact South Coast Mitsubishi and get in touch with Mr. Abbas who as you read is the GM of South Coast Mitsubishi, as well as the GM for most of the Mitsubishi dealerships in that area. Unfortunately, when I called the number they gave me which was "714-545-1700" the standard number of South Coast Mitsubishi, I asked for Mr. Abbas however was transferred to Chuck again who interrogated me on why I wanted to talk to Mr. Abbas and told me that he wasn't in so I would have to contact them later. I called back about 10 minutes later and instead asked if Mr. Abbas was in. I was told he was but that he was just on the phone at the moment. I asked to wait but again was transferred to Chuck.
Not only that but through this process of climbing the ladder I quickly found out that both Munshi and Eric had been fired, no one would tell me if it was because of my experience which I doubt it was. I would assume that a business would want to make things right for how I was treated, and that they had to fire employees but of course not.
Overall, this has hands down been one of the worst, and longest car buying experiences I or anyone I talk to have ever heard of. I asked a couple of friends who not only work at dealerships, but that have owned dealerships and they are absolutely floored by how horrendous South Coast Mitsubishi made this whole experience. I wanted to make this review as detailed as possible so there aren't any questions and there are just facts. I also have all the texts and pictures of the following issues that happened. I know that the rule of thumb is, "if it's not in writing, it's not happening" but I never thought I would have to record every conversation we had for $50 dollar wheel locks.
If you are looking to buy a new Evolution, or any Mitsubishi car for that matter, don't buy from South Coast Mitsubishi. They will lie to you and once they get your money, South Coast Mitsubishi will run.