The service was excellent. The delivery arranged by Ken Comiskey and his walk through of the vehicle and its many features was outstanding. I would certainly recommend Ken and Palm Beach Jaguar to others.
My car was in for regular service before a long trip unto and around the Northeast plus fixing the automatic stop/start in Economode to increase fuel economy. Everything was handled excellently while I waited in great witting room with snacks, etc. I appreciate the 5 yr, 60,000 mi everything free warranty. Dave Overturf was very courteous and helpful.
I own two Jags, an F Type and and F Pace, both bought at Palm Beach Jaguar. First, both cars are excellent, requiring very little by way of service, but when they do, I can always count on Jaguar Palm Beach for promptness, professionalism, and honesty. Armand Copani is my service advisor, and a better one does not exist. I will always take my cars there.
We contacted Lance Pain at Jaguar Palm Beach when looking to purchase a new car. From the moment we were met by Lance, he took the time to learn what we wanted in a car, our budget, etc. we found just what we were looking for, and then Lance got to work to make the equation right for us on our trade in. Others we met at the dealership were attentive and very helpful when we took delivery.
We are thrilled with our Jaguar and would strongly recommend Jaguar Palm Beach to anyone looking for a new or used car.
I have been working with Armand Compani since purchasing my F-Type from the dealership. Being used it had a few minor issues with the trim inside getting sticky. Armand assisted me with my final trim replacements utilizing Jaguar corporate helpline. They approved the recommendation made by Armand and agreed to pay 90% of the replacement costs. The dealer picked up the remaining 10% and unexpected perk, but par for this dealer and my service representative.