We took our truck here for an unknown problem. They told us what the issue was and told us what it would cost to fix it. So we had them "fix" it. We drove it home (Thursday) and realized that the problem was not fixed. So we called and told them that it was still happening and made an appointment (for Tuesday) to take it back and have it fixed. On Thursday I had to call to get an update and they said they hadn't been able to "squeeze it in yet." Fast forward A WEEK LATER they called to ask me what the problem was. Like I hadn't already explained what it was doing and my husband had also called. I get a call that they aren't able to fix it. One, because they aren't sure what it is and two, they dont have the equipment to fix what they found it might be on the internet. Then they charged us another $50! 😡 So to sum it up 3 weeks and $200 later they fixed something that wasn't broken and cant figure out what the real problem is.