Honda Universe

1085 Route 88,
Lakewood, New Jersey 08701
Honda Universe Info
About Honda Universe

Honda Universe has been at this location for over 30 years. We are proud recipients of the Honda President's Award for customer service. Visit our website for information on new, pre-owned, and certified inventory, price quotes, financing, or to have your vehicle appraised.

About Honda Universe

Ash111
9/07/2016

"Awesome!"

Patrick was amazing! He helped us right away and answered any questions we had. A vehicle was off site and he arranged for it to be transferred just so we could see it. Extremely helpful!

Patrick Bless

September 08, 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on your experience at Honda Universe with Patrick. We're glad that he was there to answer all of your questions and concerns regarding a new vehicle. We wish you the best of luck with it and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

aweber66
8/28/2016

"This dealer "packed" my payment"

After negotiating a purchase price, the salesperson presented me with different payment options based on different down payments, interest rates and terms. I selected a payment of $233 at 2.9%. I was then turned over to the finance manager, who had good news (or so I thought) - a lower interest rate, and a coupon for free "Total Protection Plus." Interestingly enough, the payment was still $233 - a mathematical impossibility. Of course, $233 was not an accurate payment based on the true purchase price. This is a practice known as "packing the payment." You think you're getting something for free, but YOU ARE PAYING FOR EVERY BIT OF IT. Watch out for pre-printed contracts where the printer types in the blank spaces; it may not be lined up, and the important print is being lightly typed over the bolder pre-printed verbiage - very easy to miss. My paperwork was amended the next business day, when I made a complaint in person. Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware!

aweber66 responded to this review

September 02, 2016

Thank you for your concern, but I have already spoken with a representative at American Honda Motor Company. I have provided a written, detailed account of my experience and evidence supporting my claim. I remembered to photocopy the purchase agreement and Total Protection Plus agreement before I returned to the dealership. I was assured this matter would be handled internally, and no further action was necessary on my part.

September 01, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're saddened to read the comments you have written about Honda Universe when you came in to purchase a vehicle. Please know, we do NOT "pack payments" to our customers on their contracts. We would like to learn more about your experience in greater detail. If you would be willing to speak us, please contact Aimee Herbert at (732) 370-9700, etc. 4150. Thank you.

Mike and Mary Ellen
8/22/2016

"Customers for life"

My husband and I have bought many cars at Honda Universe, over the years, only from Gregory Levine. Greg goes out of his way to make sure our experience is great. He is professional, knowledgeable, no pressure, and tries to get us the best deal possible. Greg has become a friend whom has customers for life!

August 25, 2016

Thank you for your five star review and rating! We're glad that Greg was able to assist you over the years and we appreciate your loyalty!

Sue and Joe
8/17/2016

"Broken remote control key"

I'd dropped the key ring and broken the back of the remote key, and went to see Scott at Parts Dept. He tried everything possible to see what could be done without me having to buy another complete back/key. Zau happened to come along, and he looked at it, and was able to use a screwdriver to attach the back; the problem was fixed. Really appreciate all the help Scott and Zau gave us. We've purchased at least three Hondas from Honda Universe, and have loved all of them. We currently have A 2008 crv, AND IT'S GREAT. This is a really good car dealership, with a great Service/Parts Dept. Sue and Joe Cohen

Scott and Zau in Parts Department

August 19, 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sue and Joe! We're so grateful for your business and we're glad to read that Zau and Scott were able to help fix your key fob. We look forward to continuing to serve you and your Honda!

Carzfortommy
8/15/2016

"Great customer service"

I have been going to Honda universe for years. I have bought and serviced my car here. John McGraw is one of the most honest and for the customer person there. He has sold me 2 cars and I will continue going back there because of him! Honda Universe has a customer for life!

August 19, 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We're glad that John was able to assist you and we appreciate your loyalty! We wish you the best of luck with your new Honda!

louism98
8/08/2016

"New outlook on buying "

John , change my outlook on buying a used car , there was not pressure and he was very courteous and knowledgeable I would definitely recommend him to my friends.

August 10, 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on your experience at Honda Universe and with John. We're glad he was able to make your car buying experience painless and easy. We wish you the best of luck with your new Honda!

kp75
8/08/2016

"Great Service"

John McGraw turned my perspective on buying cars from negative to positive. He is knowledgeable , and helped me make a great decision. He wasn't pushing me to buy a car, he listened and helped me make the best choice. I would definitely go back to him for my next car. Thank you again

August 10, 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We're glad that you had a great experience at Honda Universe and with John. We wish you the best of luck with your new Honda and we look forward to seeing you again for routine maintenance!

Bill531
7/23/2016

"Great Experiences"

I have bought several vehicles from Honda Universe and always had the pleasure of dealing with John McGraw. He is always courteous and helpful. I recommend him any time I can.

John McGraw

July 25, 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We're glad that John was able to assist you and we appreciate your loyalty to Honda Universe. We look forward to continuing to serve you!

kseymou02
7/21/2016

"Great Customer Service"

Every time I need service or just a simple question, John McGraw is always there to help. He is always willing to help with any questions that I have. If he is unsure he asks someone that can help him answer my questions. Would recommend to friends and family and would be willing to buy from again.

July 25, 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We're glad that John was able to assist you! We wish you the best of luck with your new Honda and look forward to seeing you again!

Moser, Loretta
7/15/2016

"salesman was great. Manager and financial dishonest."

On June 9, 2016 I went to this dealership to turn in my lease on a 2013 CRV for a new model. My salesman, George Ebinger, was wonderful. He showed me 3 models he had in the lot, two of which I did not like. The 3rd was an upgrade Touring model. I loved it. We went back to the showroom to make up some numbers. I loved the car and they knew that. so they the manager and financial people did their things (let's see how we can screw this senior woman--and they did. They asked how much of a downpayment I wanted to give. I replied $2,500. OK they said. How much did I want my monthly lease payment to be. I told them below $400. The manager came out and told me that my downpayment would be $2500 and my monthly payment would be $400, all INCLUSIVE. I had only wanted to go to the most $375, but I agreed. I told Honda that I wanted a 3-year lease with 12,000 miles a year. The paperwork and detailing took hours. When they gave me the paperwork to sign I distinctly checked the lease agreement to check the mileage per year. It read 12,000 per year. I signed all the papers. After another 45 minutes someone from finance came out to say I needed to sign a new lease agreement as the one I signed said it was a trade-in. Wasn't it? They said no. I traded in my 2013 CRV. Another 30-40 minutes goes by and they give me yet another lease agreement to sign as now I could not have the 12,000 miles a year, only 10,000. I told them that wasn't right. I wanted to speak with the manager, but he conveniently had left. I should have said I wouldn't sign it. I travel frequently from the Jersey shore to northern NJ for doctor visits. This is not going to work for me with only 10,000 miles a year. Then the financial person comes out again and tells me that the downpayment is now $3,017, instead of $2500. Well you know taxes and stuff the financial person said (the manager told me $2500 and $389 inclusive). YIPES! I was livid. I was there for 6 hours and was tired. Now someone else tells me that "you know you really need the tire and wheels coverage because they are very expensive. OK so now my monthly payment is now $429.89. And after another little while someone comes to tell me that if I really wanted the 12,000 miles per month, that would be another $20. I couldn't afford another $20.00 per month. If I was rich I would hire a lawyer. It is disgraceful how I was treated and conned. I WOLD NOT RECOMMEND THIS DEALERSHIP TO MY WORST ENEMY! Does this survey only go to Honda Universe. I hope not. I want it to go to the "powers that be". SHAME ON YOU! As I don't think this dealership is going to sent it to them. I am going to send it to them myself. My salesman, George Ebinger was the only honest person, and a gentleman. Loretta Moser

George Ebinger, GREAT

July 25, 2016

Loretta, we apologize that you feel so negatively about Honda Universe. We are very sorry for the experience that you encountered when you came to Honda Universe looking to purchase a new CRV. We would like the opportunity to speak with you about your experience in greater detail and we are committed to helping you change your opinion about us. Please feel free to reach out to us at your earliest opportunity. Sincerely, Aimee Herbert, aherbert@hondauniverse.com or (732) 370-9700, ext. 4150.

Reviews of John  McGraw