A-1 Toyota

50 Amity Road,
New Haven, Connecticut 06515
A-1 Toyota Info
About A-1 Toyota

In the early 60’s, the owners of a local garage received a postcard announcing the production of a new four-wheel drive vehicle. At the time, the automotive industry was producing only one other vehicle in this category, so the owners thought this might be a good opportunity to introduce a new four-wheel drive vehicle that they would be able to sell as well as service. The postcard was answered and the response was the founding of the first Toyota dealership in New England and the beginning of what has become a very successful endeavor for Dominic Galardi, Anthony Buglione and A-1 Toyota. The history of A-1 Service began before this. In January of 1951, Dom joined his father-in-law, Tony Buglione in a partnership that included a gas station and used cars. The station was located on the corner of Olive Street and St. John in New Haven. In the late 1950’s, a new highway system was breaking through the neighborhood, people started moving to the suburbs, and with the limited space they had already outgrown, A-1 looked for a new location. The new site they chose was in East Haven. The partnership grew to include Dominic’s brother, Andrew. Their new location, occupying a city block on Main Street and the sign reading A-1 Auto Service, Inc., became a landmark for many. In 1963, A-1 completed the building of the first Toyota showroom on the East Coast. In 1966, just three years after opening their dealership, A-1 became the second largest Toyota dealership in the country. Toyota’s line-up featured only two vehicles at the time, the four-wheel drive Land Cruiser and one of the first economy cars, the Tiara. Over the years, A-1 Toyota continued to grow and in 1980 moved to their current location on Amity Road in New Haven adding the Dodge franchise that dueled with Toyota until 1990. A-1 Toyota’s line-up looks far different than it did in 1963, but the basis for a successful business has continued. The business is still owned by the same family, and Domin

About A-1 Toyota

• Full Service Cafe
rubin8or89
6/29/2015

"Bought first car!!"

Thanks A1! Dadic is super friendly and my parents have bought their cars from him. I didn't buy my Highlander from him, as I was buying out my expiring lease, but he knew me and gave his best to my family. I didn't end up getting a Rav4 from Brenton a few years back, but he was very nice and greeted me well getting this car. Nancy at the front desk is Filipina like my mom and surprised my mom when she bought her car with pansit noodles-- they were delicious. Carlos is my dude. Helped me find a super low rate buying out my lease. Completed nearly everything in a day. Let me plug in my iPhone to his speakers to jam out filling paperwork. He likes kung fu. Brought my car to get brakes and John helped me get out of there in a few hours. Webster saw that I was a DJ and asked for headphone advice. So he took extra special care of resurfacing my brakes. He's super friendly and smiling!! He likes bowling. ;p A1 Toyota= Like Frank Sinatra says... "Ayy #1." Great cars. Great people. That's how it should be.

Joy Paladino
6/28/2015

"Steering wheel shaking"

Your comment(s): Ken Perone is awesome! He even explained what was happening to my car that the steering wheel shook and got it fixed. The shaking on the steering wheel was fixed and it is Awesome!

FrankieT
6/16/2015

"Why I now have 3 A-1 Toyotas...."

Throughout the last decade-plus, my family has put over 300-hundred thousand miles on our two A-1 Toyotas. Over all of those miles, almost every bit of service was done at A-1—from oil changes and tune-ups to thunks, clunks and timing belts. Never had to worry about the quality of the work. Never felt pressured to make a decision, and always felt confident in the knowledge and trustworthiness of the staff in any part of the building. When it was time this spring to add a newer Highlander to our family, I knew I'd look no further than A-1. And, as in the past, it was the right decision. This time in sales I had the pleasure of working with Quincy Smith. Always available, and quick to respond to a text, email, or phone call, Quincy is a careful listener. He was patient and helpful throughout—even with my puzzled questions about the significant display differences, choices, and challenges between my old and new Highlanders. Quincy has been no exception to my positive A-1 experience. I have no hesitation in recommending Quincy and those with whom I worked closely on this last purchase to anyone. And that goes for A-1's service, too. They've always given me their best, and I thank them for the peace of mind it has given me.

cbtracey227
6/13/2015

"Professonal"

I had the privilege to work with Quincy Smith, where I was very happy with the type of service he provided. Quincy is knowledgeable and professional because he cares about me as a customer and was very eager to offer me the assistance I needed to purchase my new vehicle. A-1 Toyota is the way to go and ask for Quincy so that you will be able to share the excellent service he had offered me.

Mpdirtbike
6/11/2015

"Best dealer and service I've ever experienced!"

Sunny was an awesome salesman and knows his vehicles. He welcomed me into A-1 after I had a horrible experience with Branch Toyota in Watertown. All A-1 personnel were professional and respectful and would recommend them to anyone i know! Carlos and Gary the manager were awesome! They did an excellent job and both really knew their stuff! First dealer I've ever been too with a cafe! Awesome idea especially since some dealers are not close to any food options! Best dealer ever!

A-1 Toyota responded to this review

June 12, 2015

We strive for customer satisfaction here at A-1 Toyota and we are so glad to see that you enjoyed our staff! Sunny, Gary and Carlos will certainly appreciate your review and we look forward to doing business with you again in the future!

Apeluso92
6/09/2015

"Outstanding service "

I had no intention to buy a car when I went in but this dealership and it's employees were exceptional. They gave me a great price for my trade in and helped me get the vehicle that was perfect for me. Quincy made sure that I got the car I wanted and when it came to finalizing everything he was very professional and made sure that I was 100% satisfied before he wouldnt let me leave the lot. He aims to please and blew away my expectations. There's no need for another dealership or another salesman, Quincy is your man and A1 Toyota is the place you want to go to get a vehicle.

A-1 Toyota responded to this review

June 10, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We're so pleased to see that you enjoyed doing business with Quincy and we will certainly pass a long your kind feedback to him! We hope you are enjoying your new car!

jade1325
6/01/2015

"No need to shop around."

A few years ago, my first car-buying experience with Quincy Smith confirmed for me that, with subsequent purchases, I needed to return to this personable, professional salesperson. Three days ago I purchased my second vehicle through Quincy who guided me towards the perfect vehicle at a price that was $3000 less than I planned to spend. Quincy is proof that a successful salesperson does not have to apply aggressive, pressure-filled tactics. A genuine, well-informed and empathetic approach works best on me and Quincy exemplifies those qualities.

2x Toyota owner
5/31/2015

"Back for the second time"

This is the second Certified Toyota purchased from A1. Quincy Smith handled both purchases. Quincy has made the car buying experience very positive. He is knowledgeable, and professional. Planning to return in the fall for the third time.

RichAvalon
5/31/2015

"Best car buying experience ever"

Quincy did an excellent job! He listened to what I was looking for and he accommodated me. He did not try to oversell. He informed me of other options without being pushy. Carlos as well was very helpful, and he explained everything clearly. Both gentlemen were patient and answered any questions and addressed any concerns I had. While reviewing the dearlership, Quincy portrayed A1 Toyota as family, and they treat their customers like family. I am in. It is nice to have an extended family. I usually do not respond to follow up surveys, but in this case it is my pleasure. Great job Quincy and Carlos! This was really my best car buying experience ever. Rich Shain

Trace4808
5/30/2015

"Fast and easy "

This is my third time buying a car from A1. I was very pleased with the help I received from Quincy, he is an excellent sales person. Even with a few snags I was still made to feel comfortable buying my new car. Everyone I dealt with was very professional. I've recommended this dealership to friends and coworkers and will continue to do so.

Reviews of Quincy Smith