Island Hyundai

Rosa Chiaramonte, Salesman, Island Hyundai

Rosa Chiaramonte

Salesman

September 04, 2018

"Great sales service experience, finance is another story"

- NM13SI

I leased one previous vehicle here in 2016 and I took my parents to lease a vehicle here in May 2018. Both of those experiences were fine and I have owned and/or leased Hyundais for close to 20 years. As for today...let's start at the beginning. I had received multiple calls about turning in my vehicle early and the dealer would take over my lease payments. I finally made an appointment with the salesman who sat with us and my dad several months ago. When we arrived (on time for our appointment), no one greeted us and our salesman was with another customer because they were short staffed so we were assigned to another salesman, Anthony. Anthony was professional, patient, personable and an all-around good guy. While I would have liked to get into a bigger vehicle, the numbers were not at all in our favor...c'est la vie. We worked out numbers for a Tucson instead, came to an agreement with handshakes with Anthony as well as the manager, Joe. Insurance was switched over and our credit card was charged. It took forever to get the prep procedure started. When we finally went to the business office, the whole experience went south. The agreed upon monthly lease amount went up by more than $40 per MONTH to accommodate various fees which I believed to be included in the numbers agreed to with Anthony and Joe. I repeated several times that the agreement was $X for tax, title, DMV and fees, and $Y for the monthly lease amount. The business manager (Sharif) proceeded to repeat there was nothing he could do because there were "new lease disclosure rules" in the past two years and he got loud and belligerent more than once. Funny how there were no so-called new rules for my father's lease THREE MONTHS AGO. He would only remove the bank fee. Because I refused to back down from what was agreed to with TWO handshakes, I was ready to walk away...after all, there are plenty of dealers and more than plenty of other car manufacturers. And remember, walking away meant reversing the insurance and credit card charge. The manager came outside while I was putting my belongings back into my "old" vehicle to talk to me. He laid all the blame on the business manager and convinced me to finish the deal as originally agreed. After five hours, I drove my new vehicle away...with a pounding headache. I despise the entire vehicle negotiation process as it is and this experience did nothing to restore my faith in the automotive industry as a whole. And, based on this experience, I will think several times over before ever returning to Island Hyundai. I really wanted to get into a Santa Fe but the numbers were astronomical and it was also disheartening that I had very little color choice with the Tucson. It is an absolute shame when there are sales people like Anthony who work so hard to accommodate their customers but the entire experience is reduced to a migraine due to greed.

ANTHONY COLACINO
Sherif Elbayar
Other Employees : Joe - Manager

August 31, 2018

"Hyundai Elantra"

- psycho1964

I worked with Bruce and Dante. Bruce was especially friendly (both over the phone and in person). My air conditioner hose was clogged and repaired. However, as I was leaving, I realized the air blower was not working (due to a short from the water that was in the car). Bruce insisted I leave it with him for repair (under warranty).

Dante Lopez
Other Employees : Bruce

June 26, 2018

"Not great with customer service"

- MRoskowinski

I leased a car from Island Hyundai in 2015 without problems - other than it took 2 days to get everything done. The salesman, Anthony was new. My lease is now up and I called them ahead of time to say what I wanted and make sure they had it in stock so I didn't waste any time. I had my car independently assessed by a Hyundai consultant. I spoke to Nikki at least twice. The third time I made an appointment for Saturday at 10:30 and asked again if they had the car I wanted. She said if they didn't they could get it and deliver it to me when it was in. I asked how I was supposed to get to work until then and she laughed. She said she would get back to me but didn't. Saturday morning, as I was driving to a responsive dealer, she called to say her manager wanted to know if I was coming in. I said no as I never got an answer to my inventory question. She said, oh, my manager said he called. I said no he didn't and that was it. On another note, before winter my car was in for an oil change and a recall alert. They told me I needed tires, at the time they were having a buy 3 get 1 free sale. I said no I was good and they wrote on my receipt that I refused to replace my tires. I went to a tire shop the next day to have them check my tires and they said they were fine and would make it through the winter without a problem - FYI they did and then some. Even at turn in- they were still above the required tread.

Nikki