Lexus of Manhattan

Warren Newland

Rich Velija, General Manager, Lexus of Manhattan

Rich Velija

December 12, 2018

"An Awful Buying Experience"

- RodT34

On Saturday, November 17 2018, I contacted Garmal Aly with Lexus of Manhattan regarding a 2016 Lexus RX350 I saw on CarFax.com advertised as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. After answering several questions about the vehicle and the purchase process, my wife and I decided to drive from Northern Virginia to New York to view the vehicle on Monday, November 19 2018. When we arrived at the dealership at the appointed time of 11 am, the vehicle we inquired about was not available. We were told it was still being detailed. After about 45 minutes, the vehicle arrived at the dealership. Upon inspecting the exterior of the vehicle, we noticed a pretty sizeable dent on the driver’s side door. More irritating is the interior of the vehicle smelled like an old ash tray. It was clear the prior owner was a smoker. There was no mention by Garmal during our telephone conversation that this was a smoker’s vehicle. We later found out the vehicle was not a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle after all, although it was advertised as such. As we voiced our displeasure over the vehicle, Garmal was eager to show us another 2016 Lexus RX350 which was in stock. The vehicle was extremely dirty inside and outside, so we couldn’t really tell the condition of the unit. Garmal sent the vehicle to be detailed and assured us it would take no more than 2 hours to get the unit back. We go out to lunch at 2 pm and arrive back at the dealership at 4 pm only to find no vehicle in sight. Ultimately the vehicle didn’t arrive back at the dealership until we were agitated to the point we were walking out the door at 7:30 pm. As we inspected the vehicle, it was clear someone with little detailing experience performed the work. There was a wax compound caked around all of the backup cameras and panels, the interior passenger seat had a white substance on it, the dashboard looked ashy and the carpet had not been cleaned. The vehicle had low miles and appeared to be mechanically sound and I knew that a REAL detailer could clean up the vehicle, so we negotiated a reduction in price to compensate for the work that needed to be done on the unit. We were putting down a substantial amount of money on the vehicle and only needed a small loan to finalize the deal. We were preapproved our my credit union, however due to the hour of the night (roughly 9 pm), they were not available to consummate the loan. As a result, we had the displeasure of dealing with the Financing Service Manager, Dariusz Doliwa. As we walk into his office to sign financing paperwork, he was clearly agitated that he was still at work. To the end, he uttered “I should have been gone an hour ago” to Garmal. We found his approach to be abrupt and he explained none of the paperwork he was shoving under our noses to sign. I was once a Regional Manager for a large bank, so I understood financing paperwork and I took my time reading all of the paperwork before anything was signed. In reviewing the paperwork, I discovered the dealership padded the sales tax and registration fees by over $1300 (clearly, cheating customers is how they make their money). I challenged Dariusz on the tax rate for the State of Virginia and he changed the paperwork to the correct number. As a condition of moving forward with the transaction, we required Garmal to send us 2 Lexus jackets and 2 hats. I have emailed him 3 times and called him directly once over the past three weeks, yet he refused to return our calls. I suppose that since we got a priced reduction on the vehicle, they weren’t able to cheat us out of $1300 on the financing and the fact we won’t be taking the car to that dealership for service, they figure there was no money to be made, therefore no reason to return the calls. We have purchased several other luxury vehicles from Lexus competitors over the years and did not have this type horrifying experience. We expected much more from a luxury auto dealer. The only thing this dealership was missing is a neon “Buy Here, Pay Here” sign out front. Their franchise license should be revoked.

Gamal Aly
2.0

November 05, 2018

"Aldo is the MAN!"

- BxLexusGs

Very knowledgeable, kind and the best to work with. Aldo provides an excellent customer service experience and knows just how to treat a potential buyer. I was well informed throughout the purchase process and could not have dealt with anyone better. My last salesman is no longer working for the company (Juan) but Aldo did the right thing for me and gave me a reason to stay with Manhattan. I recommend him to anyone interested in a Lexus. Thanks ALDO!

Juan Gonzalez
Warren Newland
Rich Velija
Other Employees : Danny Leach

August 25, 2018

"Great dealership "

- Chrisp

Please trust me when I say best car buying experience ask for Aldo the manager and Will best sales person ever .Lexus of Manhattan was amazing don’t buy a car anywhere else

Will Howard