I know this is lengthy and may not get read but I wanted to go ahead and let you all know my experience.
I called a week or so in advance due to recalls brought to my attention from Mopar. So we setup an appointment for Tue Dec 11 but I had to push that until Dec 13 for other reason, so that provided you all a couple of extra days to get parts that were needed to be ordered (which was why we had set it for a week out after talking to one of your guys there.)
So I dropped my Jeep off at the appointment time on 12/13. and was told it would be at least Friday before done because parts needed to be ordered, which was a bit of a surprise since it was scheduled a week later from the call for parts to be ordered. So then on 12/14 was told it wouldn't be done because brake lines showed wear and needed to be replaced, which is a good thing since that was part of the recall steps and definitely needed to be addressed, which I was thankful they found. On 12/17 was told that brake lines done on 12/15 but needed the steering angle sensor to be corrected b/c showing offline. On 12/18 was told another day because needing to get another technician to look because original technician at class, and later was told part still not in anyway.
On 12/19 told another day, 12/20 got a text saying it was ready, I was out of town so Chris had someone deliver to my house that day, which was helpful. But as you can see I had been without a vehicle for 6 days and never offered a rental or anything to make it more convenient since I was without my vehicle. On 12/21 got home and drove to work, noticed a wetness on the ground but thought it was dew from the night, went to go get lunch and noticed that still there was some dripping, sent a video of the information via text, but got no reply While driving to get lunch the brake light came on and on while on a hill the brakes were losing power and I had to put it in park to not roll through the stop light I was waiting on. Since noon replied to my text I called and was told that I needed to call a tow company you all use because seems that when it was put back together possibly it was not properly connected for the brake lines since they were redone. Later that day sent text asking for any update but received no reply. No new information sent over the weekend and then we were into the Christmas holiday, so on 12/26 I sent a text and again no reply.
Received a call that I missed on 12/27, so I sent a text, and then called to discuss my Jeep with your person. In conversation with him was told that this brake line leak had nothing to do with the brake lines being replaced because one of the places it was leaking was not anything you all touched. Seems a bit strange that I didn't have a leak before hand but had one after lines were changed, etc and that it would cost me just under 700 bucks to correct. Confirmed in text that the work quoted over phone for the 688 and change was the work I would have you all do and was told the new part wouldn't be in until Sat 12/29. On 12/29 got a text done just after 3, replied saying I will pick it up but you all closed at 3, so Jeep would stay there until 12/31 when back open. Got invoice and the amount was 785 and change not the 688 and change that was quoted. So I sent a reply asking about this but noone replied. Since I had now been without a vehicle for 18 days pretty much I paid the bill and picked up my Jeep on the 31st.