MUST READ!!! Purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 from here. This is the first new vehicle I’ve ever bought which was exciting. Here is my experience... it wasn’t what I wanted it to be that’s for sure!
1. Called the dealership and told them I will be coming to look at the vehicle I was interested in today. I live 2 hours away and I was told the vehicle is almost done being detailed so it will be done up arrival.
2. I Arrived at the dealership 4 hours later because I was running behind on my end. Truck was not done being detailed, so Jon Pierre my salesman (horrible) brought the truck out to me and it was still coated with wax, said to me and my wife... “truck looks great doesn’t it?... they aren’t done detailing it yet. But we can take it for a ride”. I replied, No thanks Jon, finish detailing it!?! Nope he insisted that we took it for a test drive so we did... coated in wax. Truck drove nice and it was exciting to be behind the wheel of a nice vehicle. By the way it took another 2 hours to finish the detail. Now I have a pissed off pregnant wife with me... great!
3. After the test drive we sat down to run some numbers with Jon. I was able to knock some money off the sticker price which was a plus, but it was like pulling teeth.. maybe even worse. We came to an agreement on the price so he wrote up the paperwork and got the ball rolling. He then tried telling me I need to sign all of this paperwork first before we go and run your credit to see what % interest I would be getting. Well wouldn’t you know it, if I signed all of these said papers, I would have legally signed into a contract stating that I’m buying the truck for this price without knowing the interest rates... little backwards if you ask me. It’s standard at most dealerships for them to run your credit first to see if you even qualify to buy a vehicle... not this one apparently.
4. I get the vehicle home and I’m totally in love with it! After a couple days I noticed a bunch of the tire shine that was applied to the wheels had whipped up onto the bed of the truck so my wife went and wiped it off for me. She had noticed some flaws in the paint on the drivers side passenger doors and bed. I took a close look at it and come to realized that whole side of the truck and been in a accident at some point and the person that owned it before me hired a horrible body shop to fix the work. I was pretty worked up, I will call the dealership in the morning since they sold me a vehicle that was in an accident but didn’t tell me it was in an accident.
5. There was a Heavy rainstorm that night/morning... I hopped into the truck to go get coffee and noticed the moonroof had been leaking.. not just leaking a little bit.. but ALOT. It flooded the whole headliner, it was all over the dash buttons, pouring out of the A Pillars and my seat was damp. At this point I was absolutely livid. I immediately contacted the state of New Jersey lemon law and discussed my matters with them, they directed me to an attorneys office for the state of New Jersey that handles these matters. Short and sweet, I can take the dealership to court for not disclosing all of these issues and they will have to fix everything at there cost. It would only cost me 50.00 for “fees” and the state would Appoint me an attorney.
6. Finally I called the dealership and spoke with used car manager Craig Horsch. Craig was very understanding and wanted to see the vehicle to make things right! I went down to the dealership and met with Craig, he agreed that it was in accident after showing him everything I found wrong with the paint. Also agreed that the moonroof drain plugs were most likely clogged causing the water issue. He took the truck over to service and they cleaned the drain plugs, they were clogged. Craig was very sorry for everything and agreed this should all be fixed. Now Craig had to talk with the General Manager Ed Rubino about the body damage. At first they offered to give me 500.00 cash for the issue or they would buy the truck back... I pretty much told Craig no thanks, that’s a kick in the balls, I will just take you to court for fifty bucks and you will have to fix everything regardless, then I’m going to contact the local news station and do a nice report across the street with your dealership in the background. Craig went back up to see Ed to relay the message. Ed decided to get off his chair and come down and take a look, pretty much kicked me in the balls again after looking at the truck, he asked me what I wanted. Told him I want all the paint fixed, put a new headliner in and add on a bumper to bumper 100k warranty to cover any future electrical issues. He literally laughed in my face, we exchanged words, I told him again I will just take you to court and you can pay for it and your lawyer fees. I’m pretty sure he didn’t believe me so he decided to call his lawyer and discuss the issue. Low and behold... his lawyer said it would be cheaper to just fix it than to pay my fees. WOW!
Honest truth, Craig is truly a kind hearted fellow and felt my pain and agreed with what I wanted was fair. Ed Rubino... you don’t want to know what I think about this guy, you should still be ashamed of yourself. John Pierre.. was pretty much clueless when it comes to selling a car, or was he playing dumb? The body work was over 4000k , headliner was most likely around 1,000 installed and who knows what the extended warranty costed them ( would have costed me 1,500 at the time of sale) They took care of everything and gave me a rental. If this would have happened to your average person, you wouldn’t have gone to the extent I did and would have gotten hosed. If you go to this dealership make sure you stand your ground, don’t put up with there bullshit and give it back to them. Know your rights and come prepared. I had the opportunity to take them to court, looking at it now, I should have.. I would have gotten what I wanted and maybe even exposed something else going on there??? The truck was purchased from a auto auction up north, sent to this dealership, went through the extensive “Certified” pre owned inspection, was detailed twice by there shop and my pregnant wife from PA was the only person to notice something wrong with the paint? Hmm, makes you think?
Dealership: zero stars
Ed: zero stars
Jon: zero stars
Ed tells me after he agreed to pay for everything “ make sure you leave a good review” I told him it might not be good but it will be honest.