ZERO STARS! Jonathan WILL take you for a ride and tell you what you want to hear! Please read on... I bought from 1400 miles away. I saw this car I HAD to have it, a mint, low-mile 2003 Audi RS6. I put every ounce of energy I had into buying it as I've sought after one for about 4 years now! I spoke with Jonathan, I had a laundry list of questions to ask before I decided to buy. With the COVID-19 in place, I surely wasn't in a position to go out and personally inspect the vehicle or even hiring a 3rd Party Inspector option was off the table. I stated to Jonathan prior to reading him my list of questions that I have to believe you in everything you tell me. I have very basic questions like "Any dash lights on or Check Engine Lights," "How are the tires," "Is the CD Player/Changer in working condition," "Any interior flaws like cracked dash, wear marks on the leather" "Any scratches in the paint," "Any Curb Rash on the rims" and on and on. I promised him to leave a positive review because he told me everything I wanted to hear. Upon taking delivery, my emotions were crazy about this car, wow was my mind frame so (in hind-sight regretfully) I left him a good Carfax Review immediately upon taking delivery. (I hired an auto-shipper to deliver it to me). Now where did Jonathan screw me, I'll tell you here. Well, for starters I had already replaced the 4 tires. His tire condition answer was 70%. Yah, for 2 of them, but the other two were dated 12 years ago and were 30%. And one of the 70% ones had a patch on it from previous blow-out. When I asked about the Stereo/CD Player/Changer he acknowledged the existence of the equipment and said all in working order. Upon delivery, ummmm Where's the CD Changer? Its got the mounting brace and connector but no changer. Lastly, the "Air Bag" light is on in the dash. Okay Jonathan, that falls under the question of "Are there any dash lights on?" I resorted back to a picture of the dash he sent me on a date prior to my purchase date. I requested him to send me a current Odometer Reading. After delivery and realizing this light exists, I resorted back to this picture to see if it was on then, sure enough the Air Bag light is illuminated there too. But in the picture, it was a red blob of light, totally unrecognizable. Not one single comment was made to me that "The air bag light is on." So at the sacrifice of my family's safety, Jonathan made the sale. I am writing this review hoping to shed light on the facts of what Jonathan from Asal Motors 46 had done to me. He's friendly and he's got a great Sales Approach, but from an ethics standpoint, he falls short! Prior to me writing this negative review I had contacted Jonathan personally as well as Asal Motors 46 over a week ago to see if they would care to redeem themselves. This Air Bag light might be an expensive fix for me, on this vehicle in particular. The safety of my family is of utmost importance to ME, clearly Asal Motors 46 has a different thought.